cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB memory usage instead of 512MB for STM32L4R9AI

VTeli.2
Associate II

The STM32L4R9AI documentation says that it supports Macronix MX25LM51245GXDI00 and Micron MT35XL512ABA1G12-0SIT Octo-SPI Flash memories. These modules are not currently available for sale.

Please tell me, is it possible to use MX66LM1G45GXDI00 instead?

What other Octo-SPI Flash memory can I use for the STM32L4R9AI?

5 REPLIES 5

1Gb (128MB) / 512Mb (64MB)

>>These modules are not currently available for sale.

No free stock, or that you have to order them with a 12-16 week delivery schedule?

Not sure there's anyone here to do that kind of due-diligence. Odds are you might still need to code for changes and write external loaders etc?

Would suggest you talk to the local FAE assigned to your account/project.

The 300-mil SOIC16 parts generally have the broader availability.

What is the utilization of this device? Would eMMC be a cheaper higher capacity option? With broader foot-print compatibility/choices.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
VTeli.2
Associate II

Dear Tesla DeLorean,

Thank you for your help. These modules are not currently in stock. The MX66LM1G45GXDI00 is very similar in its characteristics to the MX25LM51245GXDI00, so I decided to consider it as an alternative. I need this memory to work with AMOLED via MIPI.

I would be grateful if you write in more detail how eMMC can be used instead of MX25LM51245GXDI00.

The "Free Stock" issue with semi-conductors currently is likely to push into Q3. Large commercial buyers tend to schedule orders through the manufacturer, capacity is currently very tight, and the industry in general has moved to a build-to-order model.

Playing video or displaying static images?

QSPI is good for XIP (Execute In-Place), eMMC is good for mass storage where the cost of large NAND flash is more manageable. Cost of 8GB (GByte) eMMC less than the 128MB (1Gbit) QSPI you're proposing.

eMMC works like a soldered down SD Card, it interfaces via the SDMMC/SDIO peripheral. Write speeds significantly better than QSPI, but it doesn't map into the processors memory space.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
VTeli.2
Associate II

Thank you for the info.

Static images and sensor values will be displayed on the AMOLED. The info on the display will sometimes change.

Is eMMC suitable for these tasks, or is it better to try the MX66LM1G45GXDI00?

ChahinezC
Lead

Hello @VTeli.2​,

After checking the memory datasheet, MX66LM1G45GXDI00 should be supported by the STM32L4R9AI.

For more information please check the "Supported devices" section of the Octo-SPI Interface Application Note (AN5050).

Chahinez.