cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for development board for practice

SilverJill
Associate

I've been asked to write some firmware for a legacy board that has an STM32F102CBT6 mcu on it.

I have been involved in other computer and mcu projects over the years, but not with an STM32F. I'd like to get up to speed by starting on some basic programs on a simple (but somewhat similar) development board. I'll be writing my programs on a Windows laptop.

I see development boards like the NucleoF103RB pretty cheap. But I don't see a Nucleo102F.

Since the board I'll be coding for was built in 2011, I can see how maybe mcu's available at that time are not so well supported with development boards nowadays. That's fine if what I learn by practicing with whatever development board I get will help me transfer what I've learned to my target board.

Do you have any suggestions for a development board? Or maybe it doesn't matter, as any of them will do?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

The NUCLEO-F103RB is probably the best choice for your use case.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f103rb.html

The F103 will basically be a more capable F102. If you stick to the features available on the F102, you can probably run the same code on both. At the very least, you should be able to migrate with very little changes.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TDK
Guru

The NUCLEO-F103RB is probably the best choice for your use case.

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f103rb.html

The F103 will basically be a more capable F102. If you stick to the features available on the F102, you can probably run the same code on both. At the very least, you should be able to migrate with very little changes.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
PCarn.1
Associate III

STM32VLDISCOVERY 

I think this is what you're looking for

Do not buy this board if you want to develop using STM32CubeIDE as the ST-Link on that board isn't supported.

@PCarn.1 wrote:

STM32VLDISCOVERY 

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/stm32vldiscovery.html#

I think that's one of the early Discovery boards - without the Virtual COM Port?

Therefore I think @TDK 's suggestion of the NUCLEO-F103RB is probably the better choice.

The VL-Disco has an STM32F100RBT6B - so neither of them is exactly the chip the OP mentioned.

EDIT

Just seen that @TDK has added a further reason not to use the VL-Disco.

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

As already suggested STM32F103 is the best choice to replace STM32F102 as the first one has extra features vs the second.

F103 is the performance line of F1 series running up to 72MHz while F102 is the access line of F1 series running up to 48MHz.

According to their respective datasheets:

Available packages:

SofLit_0-1709738632733.png

Features and available peripherals:

SofLit_1-1709739010469.png

I highlighted the differences by marker.

Hope it helps.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@SofLit wrote:

STM32F103 is the best choice to replace STM32F102

I don't think @SilverJill is looking to replace the F102 ?

@Andrew Neil wrote:

@SofLit wrote:

STM32F103 is the best choice to replace STM32F102

I don't think @SilverJill is looking to replace the F102 ?

"I see development boards like the NucleoF103RB pretty cheap. But I don't see a Nucleo102F."

A "temporary" replacement or looking for nearest compatibility ..

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.