cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring current consumption of STM32L496ZG MCU on an STM32-Nucleo board

Ans
Associate III

I'm using Nordic's Power Profiler Kit II to measure current of STM32L496ZG MCU on STM32 Nucleo board. I've tried to measure current using JP5 (IDD) as mentioned in the datasheet but current consumption is too high (163uA) considering the fact that I'm using tickless idle mode example (freertos low power).

I've been following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSLN_WM2TOc&t=929s&ab_channel=STMicroelectronics

As far as connections are concerned, I've connected Vin of PPK II to one pin and Vout to other pin of JP5 of Nucleo board. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong? 

29 REPLIES 29

The wakeup source is an external button. I'll have to incorporate RTC as well. Currently I'm just trying to get current to minimum value. I don't know why stop modes/tickless modes don't work properly on my stm32 board (let alone the device) with freertos. 

@jiangfan Have you tried freeRTOS STOP mode on your end? If yes! What was the current consumption?

Sorry to reply to you late.

I suggest trying in bare metal mode first with wakeup source from button.

please refer to main_idd_stop_with-wakeup.txt

Thanks for replying. 

I was able to achieve almost 5uA without RTOS following your suggestions but issue is when I'm using RTOS (freeRTOS or ThreadX), the lowest I've recorded so far is 250 uA. 

so, you may De-Initialize the timer and peripheral(s) used by RTOS before entering the STOP mode.

I've de-initialized all the peripherals, and that's the concern why is it not drawing current less than 10uA in STOP mode. 

Piranha
Chief II

Do you know which peripheral (or peripherals) that lead to extra STOP mode current?

Not exactly, as I told you earlier, I'm able to achieve low current without RTOS but with RTOS enabled some peripheral is drawing this excess current and I'm unable to figure out which one.

My feeling is that some peripherals need more care such as DMA and ADC, they should be properly stopped before De-Initialization. I believe that it should be the same for STOP mode current with and without RTOS provided that peripherals environment is fully recovered to reset state.

Besides, no further comment.