cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring current consumption of STM32L496ZG MCU on an STM32-Nucleo board

Ans
Associate III

I'm using Nordic's Power Profiler Kit II to measure current of STM32L496ZG MCU on STM32 Nucleo board. I've tried to measure current using JP5 (IDD) as mentioned in the datasheet but current consumption is too high (163uA) considering the fact that I'm using tickless idle mode example (freertos low power).

I've been following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSLN_WM2TOc&t=929s&ab_channel=STMicroelectronics

As far as connections are concerned, I've connected Vin of PPK II to one pin and Vout to other pin of JP5 of Nucleo board. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

well, I find one old MB1312 NUCLEO-L496ZG. my brief test shows ~6uA STOP1 current at JP5.

pseudo code:

HAL_RCC_DeInit();
delay_ms(1000);
// all GPIO GPIO_MODE_ANALOG
// enter STOP1
HAL_PWREx_EnterSTOP1Mode(PWR_STOPENTRY_WFI);

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Driving LEDs and other devices? Conflicting pin usage?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Ans
Associate III

I'm not driving any LED. Secondly, Am I doing something wrong when measuring the current? JP5 is the right way?

jiangfan
ST Employee

if I understand correctly, you are using NUCLEO-L496ZG (Nucleo-144, MB1137).

yes, correct to measure current using JP5 (IDD) as mentioned in the datasheet.

current consumption is too high (163uA) - yes 163uA is too high, STOP1 ~7uA & STOP2 ~1.xuA expected. one point needs to take care: ethernet PHY on board will output clock by default, user needs to turn it off to avoid extra Idd current.

Thanks for replying

The nucleo board I'm using doesn't have an Ethernet port. 

Are you using NUCLEO-L496ZG (Nucleo-144, MB1137)?

if so, there is ethernet PHY on the board and ethernet PHY will output clock by default - it will lead to extra Idd current.

or, Are you using NUCLEO-L496ZG (Nucleo-144, MB1312)?

no ethernet PHY on MB1312/NUCLEO-L496ZG.

Yes! I'm using Nucleo-144, MB1312.

@jiangfan wrote:

Are you using NUCLEO-L496ZG (Nucleo-144, MB1137)?

if so, there is ethernet PHY on the board and ethernet PHY will output clock by default - it will lead to extra Idd current.

First, such a version of the MB1137 board doesn't exist. Second, even the versions with MCUs, which doesn't have the Ethernet peripheral, also doesn't have the Ethernet related components mounted.

well, I find one old MB1312 NUCLEO-L496ZG. my brief test shows ~6uA STOP1 current at JP5.

pseudo code:

HAL_RCC_DeInit();
delay_ms(1000);
// all GPIO GPIO_MODE_ANALOG
// enter STOP1
HAL_PWREx_EnterSTOP1Mode(PWR_STOPENTRY_WFI);