cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL MDIO on Nucleo-H7A3ZI-Q

Promise_Conti
Visitor

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if the Nucleo-H7A3ZI-Q supports the MDIO to external Ethernet PHY control via SMI (MDC and MDIO). I have the setup connected, and I have programmed it accordingly but the MDC and MDIO Lines are always LOW, not even a hint of toggling or any thing on the PINS when viewed on a logic analyser.

This brings me to my question. Does the Nucleo-H7A3ZI-Q support control on an external PHY.

Best regards

3 REPLIES 3
LCE
Principal

I don't see any ethernet components (RJ45, transformer, PHY) on this photo:

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-h7a3zi-q.html

Edit: H7A / H7B do NOT have ethernet peripheral!

Before that, I wrote:

I don't know.

But to find out:

- check the Nucleo schematics and find the SMI pins

- search the source code for GPIO init of these pins (could be in ../lwip/target/ethernetif.c)

- compare to datasheet / GPIO alternate functions

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @Promise_Conti and welcome to the community,

By defaults, Nucleo-H7A3ZI-Q does not have the PHY nor the transformer for the ethernet function.

See the schematics. All the components related to the ETH are not fitted:

SofLit_0-1728311563820.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Guillaume K
ST Employee

As LCE wrote, the STM32H7A3 series don't have Ethernet . In particular, no ethernet MAC component.

There is a STM32 peripheral called "MDIOS" ("Management data input/output") that could be used for very basic serial interface, but the Ethernet MAC component is missing in this specific STM32H7 to do real Ethernet communication with an external PHY.

Ethernet MACs are present in other STM32H7s.