cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 with FlexIO or PIO?

tjaekel
Lead

Dear STM team,

do you consider to add "Programmable IO" (PIO, as in RP2350) or FlexIO (as in NXP MCUs) to your chips?

It would be really cool: often I need interfaces on MCU which are not available as a peripheral devices, such as: MDIO (Master), JTAG (as a host adapter), VGA display. Having a state machine implementing such interfaces via GPIO would be a great enhancement of your chips.

I see a trend towards to have FPGA fabrics in MCU (or FPGA with MCU, Zync, PolarFire) plus having flexible I/Os, programmable I/Os, able to implement new interfaces and protocols.
For instance: your QSPI peripheral is not a full bi-directional (full-duplex) interface. I cannot use it in regular SPI mode. But I would need QSPI and SPI on the same external devices. It would be nice to have a feature like PIO, FlexIO, in order to implement when it is not supported by on-chip peripherals.

Thank you.

(I am diverting away from STM after being a long time user due to such missing features)

1 REPLY 1
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @tjaekel 

Thank you for this valuable proposition. I've sent it to our Architecture team so they review it and may implement it on one of the Future products. Thanks again for your contribution.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.