cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom board

harry123
Senior

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r9MhSFT5c7hjDf6kfRWHOomkzLH9iJMF/view?usp=drivesdk Hi Everyone 

I made a custom board keeping stm32f429 disc1 board as a reference.

When I connect the the board through usb mini it's showing USB not recognised. Below is my stlink schematic.

Screenshot_20240105_171542_OneDrive.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, I misinterpreted the situation a little bit. It sounds like you have both an STM32F4xx chip on the board as well as the STM32F103 chip you show in the schematic. In that case, your board won't run the same as a discovery board since the F103 doesn't have firmware (as stated earlier). The firmware isn't published. But:

You can still program the STM32F4xx chip on that board, but it will take a little more work. You can probably leave the STM32F103 chip on the board but it won't do anything. To program the STM32F4xx chip with an external debugger, connect the GND/SWDIO/SWCLK/NRST/VCC pins from the debugger to the board and it will show up in STM32CubeProgrammer and you can connect to and program it. You can use CN3 for these connections. The board will also need to be powered separately, such as by the USB.

(Soldering an STM32F103 chip with the firmware already on it is also an option, but at that point why not just use the discovery board you got the chip from.)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @harry123 ,

Try to change USB cable (Do not use cables for charger phones).

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
TDK
Guru

So you're connected CN3? Until you load something on the board, the USB port won't be recognized as anything. You need to program it to behave as you want it to.

Note that a direct USB connection isn't a programmer. You still need a programmer such as STLINK-V3MINIE to debug it.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

How can i program the Stlink IC 

I want my custom board to work as disc board.

TDK
Guru

A few problems with that:

• Your board doesn't have an st-link chip on it.
  • Even if it did, the st-link firmware is not published.

The best way to develop a custom board is to buy a programmer (such as STLINK-V3MINIE), put a 14-pin SWD header on your board, and connect to it via that header to program/debug.

oeliks
Senior

I would resolder this chip from nucleo for a fast temporary solution, if you dont plan to make more boards and use only this one.

But as was mentioned, its better to use external programmer for programming chip and on chip usb to communicate.

As I developed my board as it is like disc1 board schematic , can I program my custom board with external debugger (stlinkv3minie).

Or my board is useless.

As my code is developed in stm32f429 disc1 board can I replace that IC with my new custom board will it work. 

Or is there any solution below is my board.

Below is my board schematic https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJiLHR7v1m0_u9aUBMIOs7mpG5s_3u-o/view?usp=drivesdk 

Sorry, I misinterpreted the situation a little bit. It sounds like you have both an STM32F4xx chip on the board as well as the STM32F103 chip you show in the schematic. In that case, your board won't run the same as a discovery board since the F103 doesn't have firmware (as stated earlier). The firmware isn't published. But:

You can still program the STM32F4xx chip on that board, but it will take a little more work. You can probably leave the STM32F103 chip on the board but it won't do anything. To program the STM32F4xx chip with an external debugger, connect the GND/SWDIO/SWCLK/NRST/VCC pins from the debugger to the board and it will show up in STM32CubeProgrammer and you can connect to and program it. You can use CN3 for these connections. The board will also need to be powered separately, such as by the USB.

(Soldering an STM32F103 chip with the firmware already on it is also an option, but at that point why not just use the discovery board you got the chip from.)

Thank you for your response 

1) As I already made my board using disc1 board schematic. How can I program using stlinkv3. Below is my custom board schematic. I have not made provision for stlinkv3 interface with custom board .

Will my custom board work like disc1 board 

If I replace both f4 and f1 chips from disc1 board to custom board.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJiLHR7v1m0_u9aUBMIOs7mpG5s_3u-o/view?usp=drivesdk