cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any STM32 F7 or H7 pin compatible with STM32F407VGT6 - LQFP100?

RhSilicon
Lead

Hi,

I was very disappointed to note that STM32H743VIT6 is not pin compatible with STM32F407VGT6 in the LQFP100 enclosure.

It would be nice if MCU F7 and H7 could replace F4, without having to redo the PCB board again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dear @RhSilicon ,

Unfortunately it is not possible from F4 to H7, here is the last series we released STM32H5 with Cortex-M33 secure core instead of M4 core and this is below the best we have done to keep pin compatibility ( strongly  requested by our customers like you ) . For LQFP 100 package 

IMG_3732.jpeg

 thank You very much for the valuable feedback! Minor re-spin of PCB is required on these few power pins . 

Ciao 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I think them changing the bond-out of the IC to suit is a more involved / expensive task than you revising your PCB..

The 144-pin packages have a much better history of back/forward compatibility. Although some still need accommodation for a handful of pins at a BoM level. See perhaps NUCLEO designs.

There's a "will-it-blend" type of tool within CubeMX / IDE for identifying parts.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear @RhSilicon ,

Indeed LQFP100 is the only package not pin-to-pin compatible with STM32F7 series due to optimized performances and sustain the power rails . Here is attached screenshots from our Application note of Migration 

IMG_3731.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

 by the way , why moving to F7 or H7 series - curious to know if you need more memories or performance .

Ciao

STOne-32

Thanks,

I just need the USB Host to stop crashing in the enumeration.

Do all line 4 MCUs (F4, L4, G4) have the same USB OTG design?

I found this, about peripheral mode:

"When we ported the USB (device) driver to the L4 we had problems because a strange behavior of the OTG peripheral, we had to introduce workarounds in the driver, I don't know if the host mode driver could be affected in a similar way."

[No interrupt generated on USB device connection while USB OTG_FS core is running as USB host only]

http://forum.chibios.org/viewtopic.php?t=4966

Dear @RhSilicon,

Yes, on all of these products MCUs the USB Peripheral can be configured either a Host or a peripheral in Full speed mode ( using internal PHY) or High Speed HS using ULPI external PHY, except the F72x that embeds a High Speed PHY in addition to the full speed PHY.

now, regarding a potential issue in enumeration or detecting VBus presence I would suggest to debug the issue or to start from reference examples we provide in CubeMX or GitHub and then to add the features in the software stack to be robust enough in your application. If it persist , you escalate the case and have a Direct FAE helping you locally .

have a great end of day 

Thanks for the information, just to confirm, do all products that have internal Full-Speed (FS) USB OTG PHY have the same silicon lithography design on the PHY module? Including the H7 line?

I ask this because I was thinking of making a new PCB board using MCU H743, but if the internal FS USB OTG PHY of H743 is the same as that of F407, then I will try to work around some problem locally

H743:STM32H743_int_PHY.png

F407:

STM32F407_int_PHY.png

I recently learned that the H743 has a Y and V revision. Is there any possibility that there is a revision in the silicon lithography of the internal USB OTG PHY Full-Speed (FS) PHY, which allows for greater robustness?

Thank you.

Is there any possibility to release MCU H7 pin-to-pin compatible (Vdd, Vss, Vref+ etc) with MCU F4? Probably many boards were manufactured with F4, and perhaps the possibility of replacing only the MCU would be welcome for these users.

"For designers of STM32 microcontroller applications, it is important to be able to easily
replace one microcontroller type by another one in the same product series"

[AN3364 - Migration and compatibility guidelines for STM32 microcontroller applications]

Hi @RhSilicon 

F4 and F7 series are build on 90nm Technology, H7 series are build around ST 40nm e-NVM node with a design-in-house Internal PHY - the H745 rev V is the last revision of silicon and you can refer to our Erratasheet for fixed limitations. You can also explore the H730 series they are cost effective if memory usage of embedded flash is not required .

ciao 

Dear @RhSilicon ,

Unfortunately it is not possible from F4 to H7, here is the last series we released STM32H5 with Cortex-M33 secure core instead of M4 core and this is below the best we have done to keep pin compatibility ( strongly  requested by our customers like you ) . For LQFP 100 package 

IMG_3732.jpeg

 thank You very much for the valuable feedback! Minor re-spin of PCB is required on these few power pins . 

Ciao