cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPV1040T Not Working as intended.

Stalin
Associate II

Hello, 

I'm trying to use the SPV1040T MPPT IC to boost up the 1.5V I'm getting from the Solar Panel to 3.8V. When I Power ON the MPPT IC its output just follows the Input and i don't see any chances of voltage getting boosted up. Is there anything wrong in the design attached? Please advise. 

For now, I'm using the Lab power supply to power the MPPT IC, the O/P voltage is set to 1.5V, Current limit is set to 100mA. 

Regards

Stalin 

17 REPLIES 17

There is a 10uF CAP on the I/P and O/P.  Should I increase the O/P CAP value further?  

To rule out the I/P = O/P I will change the Chip to a new one tomorrow and probe it. 

Yes, didnt we have 470u there ?

And check with scope directly on 10u caps , + and gnd side . I cannot believe its switching with so much current.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Stalin
Associate II

I changed the O/P CAP from 10uF to 100uF and i don't see the I/P= o/P Problem anymore. the MPPT chip seems to be functional properly in No load, Nominal and Light Loading condition.  Only thing the O/p Voltage is not boosted, the Super CAP charging only up to 1.5V. 

I even tried to increase the O/P CAP up to 500uF, the Results look similar with no changes. 

again:

pic on scope : really in + out ?? (looks like almost a short in->out ) and IN has higher voltage than OUT = impossible !

- And check with scope directly on 10u caps , and gnd side , IN and OUT caps. I cannot believe its switching with so much current.

and try as input a simple AA cell, (1.5V ) , to avoid any strange limiting action from the regulated supply .

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Stalin
Associate II

2 Experiments today 

I tried with the AA Cell today and the Result is same. MPPT is switching at 100kHz rate but, the Super CAP connected at the output of the MPPT thorough the Current limiting resistor (63.2 ohm) is charging up to 1.5V. Once it reaches 1.5V the Switching Stops. The Switching resumes automatically once the Super CAP is discharged little bit. 

I also tried connecting the Solar Panel but, for the indoor lighting there is not enough juice from the Panel to enable the MPPT IC. 

So with the 1.5V cell - it should do, as with a panel (giving about 1.5V).

- And check with scope directly on 10u caps , and gnd side , IN and OUT caps. I cannot believe its switching with so much current.

Did you check ?

If input really (on caps !) has more voltage, than output - replace chip. (This cannot be...)

Stalin
Associate II

Correct. Panel giving about 0.9V nominal. if the light source is moved closer to the Panel it can go up to 1.5V.

The OCV of the Panel itself is 1.75V

about the Scope Plots directly at the I/P and O/P CAP attached here FYR.  

with the Same CAP and Inductor values I will try to replace the MPPT IC once and take one more measurement. 

Roger SHIVELY
ST Employee

Hello @Stalin 

This post has been escalated to the ST Online Support Team for additional assistance.  We'll contact you directly.

Regards,

Roger

ST Support