cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't litter posts with whitespace (empty paragraphs inserted around code blocks)

waclawekjan_0-1689407200137.png

JW

19 REPLIES 19

Hello, @Tobe all, 

The recent update that I have on this topic: this bug will not be fixed on a current community version. Once we have more news on the version update, I let you know. 

I understand the frustration and apologize for the inconvenience you are facing right now. 

Greetings,
Lina

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

As any kind of bug list and progress reporting on addressing, prioritizing and fixing is entirely opaque, it's hard to discern progress from the outside beyond the rearranging of icons and size of edit boxes.

Indeed; eg,

@Lina_DABASINSKAITE wrote:

The recent update that I have on this topic: this bug will not be fixed on a current community version. 

So does that mean the vendor has now recognised this as a bug? If so, when did they accept that?

But they've refused to address it?

@Peter BENSCH wrote:

you can work around it by editing manually after switching to HTML. I've just forgotten exactly how I did it,  

Example of excess blank lines added by the forum, and compounded with editing:

AndrewNeil_0-1714590304809.png

How it looked in the editor:

AndrewNeil_1-1714590386362.png

and in the HTML:

AndrewNeil_3-1714590522902.png

After taking them out:

AndrewNeil_4-1714590566894.png

But posting still puts some back in:

AndrewNeil_5-1714590611641.png

BarryWhit
Lead II

I just reported this elsewhere, and andrew pointed me here.

Very annoying, please fix ASAP.

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.

Yes, it's been a gripe for a while. Along with the spurious HTML error report/warning when pasting something into the editor and posting. That seems to self remediate if we're persistent and push to post again.

Usually I catch this as I paste something in, and it's evident it's in a box with odd formatting it brought with it. Ctrl-Z and paste as plain text..

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
BarryWhit
Lead II

I don't suppose ST is using an open-source solution for this forum....? [he asks, knowing it was futile]

- If someone's post helped resolve your issue, please thank them by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Please post an update with details once you've solved your issue. Your experience may help others.

No, they've all been commercial, was Microsoft SharePoint, then Jive, then SalesForce, now Khoros.

I guess one of the selling points being Corporate and "supported" by paid engineering staff rather than a couple of guys around their kitchen table, although I think the latter could be motivated by much smaller sums of money to fix / add things, or get them right the first go around.

Other scenes I participated on frequently had the databases self-immolate, requiring a recovery/rebuild, but they weren't paying Oracle prices. That said they had a lot better grasp of how the BBS and Forum mechanics were supposed to work.

BarryWhit
Lead II

aurora.jpg

a new reality! wouldn't that be awesome. I can't wait to be deployed, managed and scaled. Sign me right up.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

The issue continues to annoy.

And now, possibly another manifestation of the bug same:

https://community.st.com/t5/feedback-forum/more-spurious-whitespace-in-posts/m-p/719528

And the SHIFT-SHIFT-EIGHT / GT-GT-EIGHT breaking things, I reported elsewhere, impacts both source code block panes, and primary post texts.

Honestly we don't need to be breaking stuff to support f***ing emoji's !!