cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Makefile generation errors in STM32CubeMX, ver 6.1.1, with suggestions on how to solve them.

Wingunder
Associate III

Hi,

I am using STM32CubeMX, ver 6.1.1 on Linux and I noticed the following bugs in the Makefile generation:

The first problem: The C_INCLUDES variable.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If a Makefile does not exist in the target directory, a Makefile is generated and this mostly works. However, on regenerating the code after the initial generation, an extra line is appended after the C_INCLUDES variable. This causes a failure on running make. The variable looks something like this after the initial generation:

C_INCLUDES = \

-ICore/Inc \

-IDrivers/CMSIS/Include

After the second generation, it looks like this:

C_INCLUDES = \

-ICore/Inc \

-IDrivers/CMSIS/Include

-IDrivers/CMSIS/Include

Note that the second last include line has no \ behind it, so make assumes that the last line is a make target "-IDrivers/CMSIS/Include". This is an error.

The line should not be generated, so to get the Makefile to work, this line always needs to be deleted manually.

The second problem: Linking with libPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When enabling the PDM2PCM option (after enabling CRC!), in STM32CubeMX, the LIBS variable is setup wrongly:

LIBS = -lc -lm -lnosys \

-llibPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

A ':' is missing between -l and libPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

So it should be changed to:

LIBS = -lc -lm -lnosys \

-l:libPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

The third problem: link flags are wrong when linking with pre-compiled libs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following gets generated:

LIBS = -lc -lm -lnosys \

-llibPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

LDFLAGS = $(MCU) -specs=nano.specs -T$(LDSCRIPT) $(LIBDIR) $(LIBS) -Wl,-Map=$(BUILD_DIR)/$(TARGET).map,--cref -Wl,--gc-sections

This produces linking errors like:

...... newlib/libm/math/wf_pow.c:77: undefined reference to `__errno'

I had a look at what AtollicStudio generates in its makefiles.

Using the following, solves the problem:

LIBS = -specs=nosys.specs -static \

-l:libPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.a

LDFLAGS = $(MCU) -T$(LDSCRIPT) $(LIBDIR) $(LIBS) -Wl,-Map=$(BUILD_DIR)/$(TARGET).map,--cref \

-Wl,--gc-sections \

-Wl,--defsym=malloc_getpagesize_P=0x80 \

-Wl,--start-group -lc -lm -Wl,--end-group \

-specs=nano.specs

I found that te above works for several different CPUs with hard- and soft-float configurations.

I hope that these tips come in handy and that they will find their way into the next STM32CubeMX release.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Wingunder​ ,

First let me thank you for this detailed description and for the proposed suggestions.

> The first problem: The C_INCLUDES variable and the second problem: Linking with libPDMFilter_CM4_GCC_wc32.

Concerning these issues, they were already detected and reported to be fixed. I'll inform you once the fix is available.

> The third problem: link flags are wrong when linking with pre-compiled libs.

This will be reported internally to be reviewed. I'll keep you posted with the updates.

Thanks for your contribution 🙂

Khouloud.

Wingunder
Associate III

Hi @Khouloud OTHMAN​ ,

Thanks for following up on this.

Is there a place where all the know, but not fixed bugs are listed?

If so, this would certainly help a lot.

Thanks & best regards

Hi  @Wingunder​ ,

Actually there is not such a list, but we are always improving our tools maybe this will be implemented in the future.

Otherwise, I will get back to you as soon as the fix is available 😊

Thanks for your patience.

Khouloud.