cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change HAL firmware version in STM32CubeIDE

Miles1
Associate III

Is it possible to revert a project to an earlier firmware version? I was able to upgrade, but now I can't figure out how to change back to the previous version.

I also can't create a new project with the older firmware version either (the dropdown is greyed-out / disabled), even though I have multiple firmware versions installed.

0693W000002liS6QAI.png

0693W000002liS1QAI.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

If you run CubeMX in standalone mode, you can select the firmware repository for the chip in Project Manager -> Project -> Mcu and Firmware Package. Just tried it.

Probably won't work for project created with STM32CubeIDE, but you could create in CubeMX and then import the project.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

If you run CubeMX in standalone mode, you can select the firmware repository for the chip in Project Manager -> Project -> Mcu and Firmware Package. Just tried it.

Probably won't work for project created with STM32CubeIDE, but you could create in CubeMX and then import the project.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Miles1
Associate III

Thanks for the suggested workaround with CubeMX.

Seems like STM32CubeIDE is not fully baked yet.

Miles1
Associate III

Two related issues:

• I can't view CubeMX .ioc output in CubeIDE due to version mismatch and inability to update.
  • Even if I uninstall the more recent HAL version, it's still the only option when creating new projects:

0693W000002lim1QAA.png

0693W000002lim6QAA.png

The workaround is to just treat CubeIDE like Atollic (and assume it has no CubeMX / .ioc capabilities), but I figured it would be helpful to note these usability issues anyway.

Miles1
Associate III

For additional clarification on the differences between CubeIDE and CubeMX:

CubeMX allows changing firmware path:

0693W000002limpQAA.png

CubeIDE does NOT allow changing firmware path:

0693W000002limuQAA.png

@Imen DAHMEN​ 

FYI

HTD
Senior III

I just tried to find the old version number when opening .ioc file as text, replaced it to the newer version and it worked for STM32CubeIDE. I mean, by worked I see the version number displayed in STM32CubeIDE matches. I also deleted older software pack and left only the current. The code generation feature works, the code compiles. Whether the selected version is used - I'm not sure and IDK how to test it. I noticed in git that in some headers the version was changed, but git didn't detect many changes in the project. This is a little suspicious, I'd expect more changes, but IDK, maybe it's OK.

The changed key was "ProjectManager.FirmwarePackage".