cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-SPIN3202 Max current 15 Arms

Mohamed eleuche
Associate II

Hello,

1- can we use a higher current motor with the Dev -board since the Mosfets STD140N6F7 have Id 80A?

2- in the schematic of the steval_spin3201 the VBUS and the VM are connected with JP2.

My question is: if we supply VBUS with 48V and open JP2 can we regulate the Vbus to , let say 24V , and connect to VM?

3- Can we separate Vbus and Vm and have different power supply? (JP2 open)

thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

​Hello,

the maximum current is limited by power dissipation. The 15 A is an rms value, you can reach higher peak current value but monitoring the dissipation.

Yes, if you open JP2 you can supply with different supply voltage the device (VM) and the power stage (VBUS).

You can use different power supply or regulate the voltage applied to one of two connector (additional circuitry I needed).

Edit: It's required to use the same supply voltage for VBUS and VM to avoid to violate the Absolute Maximum Ratings of the device.

Mohamed eleuche
Associate II

Thank you for the answer. I will test it and let you know.

Hello, were you ever able to get this to work? I am interested in doing this as well.

I have a 48V motor and would like to evaluate this design using the STEVAL-SPIN3201 which is only rated to 45V.

The schematic sort of suggests that if you remove the JP2 jumper you can independently supply VM and VBUS, and VBUS can go to 60 volts due to FET's limit and VM can go to 45V.

I removed this jumper and connected 48V to J2 for VBUS, and 24V to J1 for VM. Changed the FW so I don't get overvoltage error and the SPIN32F0 programmed fine. But as soon as I commanded the motor to run the board burned out, appears to have burned at the VM input of the SPIN32F0.