cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSPIN250 not able to drive DC motor at 9V

MMold.1
Associate

In my previous post I showed a fault condition using a STSPIN240 and a brushed DC motor with a supply voltage of 9V. I assumed that this issue would be resolved if I instead used the STSPIN250, as this would allow the current protection limit to be doubled.

I am now experiencing a very similar voltage spike on VSENSE (1V with RSENSE at 330mOhms). This might be due to some measuring artifacts, however the decay sequence is triggered and the motor is not able to start.

I have set VREF to 0.5V, thus the peak current should be ~1.5 A, which is way below the advertised 2.6 Arms current maximum. Is it safe to increase the VREF voltage to 1 V, or reduce the VSENSE resistors?

Is there any way to resolve this issue without reducing the voltage using a series resistor, or reducing the regulated voltage directly?

I am no longer using my own hardware to perform these tests to rule out any hardware issue on my end. These issues occured using the Nucleo-IHM013A1.

Link to the previous post:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001k9Vg3SAE/stspin240-fault-condition-issue

1 REPLY 1
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @MMold.1​,

I asked you to share some additional information in your previous post

Meanwhile I came up with another hypothesis: could be an overcurrent generated by the motor input capacitor.

Could you check if your motor has a capacitor to reduce EMI?

If so it is necessary to add small inductors in series to the motor to compensate the current peaks.

Let me know if these info helps you.