cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More RAM (and FLASH) for STM32L4 LQFP 48 pin package?

gregstm
Senior III

It would be great if the STM32L4 LQFP 48 pin package came with more RAM (and FLASH). The STM32L4 LQFP 64 packages have up to 320K of RAM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
berendi
Principal

They are in the works. The MCU selector already knows about some in the STM32L4+ series.

0690X00000DY3INQA1.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

There is a physical constraint on how big die fits inside a package. There's a non-negligible clearance between the edge of die and edge of plastic in the QFP package required for the bonds.

And memory requires chip space. Moore's Law is over.

Get the WLCSP package if you desire it to be small, that's roughly the die size.

JW

gregstm
Senior III

"There is a physical constraint on how big die fits inside a package." True, but whether this is the case for the LQFP48 package we won't know unless someone within ST let's us know. Just in case it is a decision based more on marketing, and popularity of packages - I'm putting my wish out there.

The LQFP48 package is a great smallish package for those who want to be able hand prototype their designs on 2-layer boards. Hopefully one day I will have the resources to venture into the WLCSP realm.

berendi
Principal

They are in the works. The MCU selector already knows about some in the STM32L4+ series.

0690X00000DY3INQA1.png

DIL packages are great for field firmware update without the hassle of getting data connection, for devices where only a dozen or two signals are needed. Yet they're not an option at the vast majority of manufacturers (I've used PICs for this particular purpose quite recently, even if I deeply hate them... don't judge me, just doing my job... 🙂 )

The new L+ may be built using 40nm technology thus physically smaller. Gordon Moore is still alive, after all... 😉

JW

gregstm
Senior III

.. I won't judge you about using PIC chips, I still use them for various quick projects - although I must admit I haven't touched a DIL package for decades now, but I can see how they would be a benefit in your application. As for Moore's law, there is another law that always seems to be true with me - no matter how much ram, flash or features I am given , I always seem to want more.

gregstm
Senior III

320K of RAM is now available (evaluation) in a LQFP48 package in the STM32L+ range - excellent.

And UFQFPN48

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32l4p5ce.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..