cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging when using the external loader for QUADSPI FLASH

scottSD
Senior III

I am looking for some input on this.

When debugging while using an external loader for the QUADSPI FLASH, why does the debugger not start at the breakpoint in main.c like it does when not using the external loader?

In fact, there's no way to "Resume" whatsoever. The only way I'm able to debug is disable the external loader.

Does this mean that every time I want to debug, I'll need to program the external FLASH first, then turn off the external loader and reload the internal FLASH every time I want to debug?

3 REPLIES 3

Does seem like something the tool should be handle, again indicating it is not fit for purpose, and shows a lack of real world testing/evaluation by the QA team.

Use better tools...

>>Does this mean that every time I want to debug, I'll need to program the external FLASH first, then turn off the external loader and reload the internal FLASH every time I want to debug?

I think it would generally speed development / debugging if you could separate the two, as the external FLASH can be slow/time consuming to erase/write.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
scottSD
Senior III

I understand "better tools", but right now that is not an option.

It would be nice if someone from ST would have some input on my question.

It has to an option, just one you're not willing to take yet.

Perhaps you can find someone at the local sales/support office whose feet you can hold to the fire, or at least get you a 30-day Keil or IAR licence you can run on a $200 PC from Walmart.

It really depends on how much your time is worth, and how much faffing about is too much.

Where is the breakpoint? in FLASH or QSPI?

Can you make your app pull the QSPI content from an SDCARD or TFTP server, and write the memory without needing the External Loader interaction?

When I started doing this an ICE Debugger cost as much as a medium sized car, my boss wasn't about to get me one of those, so we learned how our code behaved without single stepping it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..