cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the preferred method for completely uninstalling STM32CubeIDE in Linux (Ubuntu 18.04LTS)?

akronmacon
Associate II

I am encountering breaking graphical problems with the configuration perspective and want to try a clean uninstall/reinstall to try to resolve it.

What is the preferred method for uninstalling STM32CubeIDE on Linux?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

True, I'm only replying to the graphical problems point .

Not to the uninstall question for which I don't have more input than the usual dpkg -r st-stm32cubeide-x.x.x (+ possibly some other additional packages st-stlink-server st-stlink-udev-rules segger-jlink-udev-rules)

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Why not have try Windows > Perspectives > Reset perspective ?​

Julien D
ST Employee

Also make sure that you're not using Wayland as display server, xorg is recommended from STM32CubeIDE.

It can be configured on the login screen.

Which does not sound as a de-install/re-install would improve or solve anything.

True, I'm only replying to the graphical problems point .

Not to the uninstall question for which I don't have more input than the usual dpkg -r st-stm32cubeide-x.x.x (+ possibly some other additional packages st-stlink-server st-stlink-udev-rules segger-jlink-udev-rules)

akronmacon
Associate II

Thank you for your help all. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been ill.

There appears to be some nuance to the solution:

I started seeing the problem using v1.1.0. When I uninstalled it (with dpkg), it left several folders with contents behind (like /opt/st I think) and others. I manually removed the ones I could find.

I reinstalled 1.1.0 and upgraded it from the program itself. I still had the problem, so I uninstalled it (dpkg) again.

I then installed v1.2.0, and had the same problems. It also had a weird screen pop up asking something about re-applying some kind of setting. This is when I posted asking for help. (sadly I didn't screen shot it at the time, and haven't seen it since.)

I installed 1.2.0 on a new VM, and it worked fine, suggesting it was indeed an incomplete uninstall causing problems.

I then later, on the original VM, uninstalled v1.2.0 (with dpkg), and observed that it seemed to do a better job cleaning up the package when it uninstalled. After reinstalling it again, the problem went away.

Additional Notes:

1) The problem was that the blue graphical menus around the chip view in the Device Configuration Tool failed to ever load, the program also became massively laggy.

2) Resetting the perspective did not help

3) I suspect some UI colour customization I played around with a while ago may have played into the problem.

"I reinstalled 1.1.0 and upgraded it from the program itself."

AFAIK once installed with native packages such as deb or rpm the application cannot be updated anymore. 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 for example should fail at some step with a grayed screen complaining for insufficient permissions. No way to update unless playing with sudo (not really advised) or installing the new package from st.com.

"The problem was that the blue graphical menus around the chip view in the Device Configuration Tool failed to ever load."

Before trying to investigate this deeper, could you share your display server type, Wayland or Xorg, using those commands on both Ubuntu setup (workstation + VM):

$ loginctl (reports the session number; it is c2 with my session)
$ loginctl show-session c2 -p Type
Type=x11

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

According what you're sharing sounds you've got a try to customize color or ... Is issue may come from ? I've read on some other post some possible trouble if dark theme or ...

Then trying to found a solution:

+ Have you got a try to play with Windows > Preferences > STM32Cube > DeviceConfiguration Tool Font size option ?

+ Have you got a chance to remove your <user home>/.eclipse folder prior initiating new STM32CubeIDE session ?

Please share outcomes back

For me it is:

Type=x11

Also, looking back at my command history, yes I did play with sudo after the problem was first encountered in order to try to upgrade.

I was attempting to find a dark theme several weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't remember the details of what I did. I believe I was only altering built-in options.

I did not remove $HOME/.eclipse during the trouble shooting.

After the latest install the problem is now fixed, and I have not found a way to easily replicate it yet.