cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube IDE 1.15.1 Freeze when creating example project

FJons.1
Associate II

Hi, I am trying to create an example project for my NUCLEO-F401RE board by following the following steps:

1. Completely clean Debian 11.9.0 installation (in virtual machine)

2. Download and install STM32CubeIDE 1.15.1 (STM32CubeIDE-DEB)

3. Launch the IDE and create a C-project for the board. All path and pin settings default.

4. During the project setup process a "Licensing Agreement" window pops up and the IDE freeze (see attached screenshot).

Do you have any suggestion what is going wrong?

thanks
/F

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I tried your suggestion and used the generic Linux installer instead of the dedicated Debian, and this works much better!

I created a completely clean VM and installed Debian 11.9.0 (Debian 12 is not shipped with the Python version required by STM32CubeIDE). After installing some missing .so files

sudo apt-get install libncurses5

I am able to compile and debug project without problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
FJons.1
Associate II

I suspect something is not correct in the installation script. When launching stm32cubeide using "sudo" I manage to create project and run without problem.

cd /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.15.1
sudo /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.15.1/stm32cubeide_wayland %F

But using this method I run into other problems. For example is the web-browser required to view some documents not be launched as root.

Hi,

i have IDE 1.13.1 running on my old Mx18 Linux ...

but i used not deb , but the "generic" version ( Mx is debian based, but deb version not working..).

And on update/new install i had to modify the rights on the top directory (/opt/st -> + all subs ) to allow full user access.

Maybe you should try this .

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi, thank you very much for the suggestion!

After some more digging I found the problem was related to the java settings.

I used the suggestion on this page: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23960451/java-system-preferences-under-different-users-in-linux

After creating the .java folders and setting the required permissions I am able to start the IDE using the following command:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.util.prefs.systemRoot=/home/user/.java -Djava.util.prefs.userRoot=/home/user/.java/.userPrefs"
/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.15.1/stm32cubeide_wayland

I still get some warning messages in the log, but the IDE seems to work anyway also when not root.

Error messages:

WARNING: Could not lock System prefs. Unix error code 32525.
May 06, 2024 8:21:11 PM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences syncWorld
WARNING: Couldn't flush system prefs: java.util.prefs.BackingStoreException: Couldn't get file lock.
May 06, 2024 8:21:41 PM java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences checkLockFile0ErrorCode

Seems setting the JAVA_OPTS didn't solve the problem after all. When trying to create another project today the IDE Freeze. When trying to restart the IDE is completely broken and never gets past the splash screen.

Just..

>Debian 11.9.0 installation (in virtual machine)

Why this ?

So your PC is on Win - or what ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I do a large number of development projects for different platforms and architectures. I found it convenient to install the build tools into a separate virtual machine for each project. This way I avoid tool and driver conflicts and can archive the VM when the project development is finished and quickly open it again if there is a need for a recompile.

Hi, I tried your suggestion and used the generic Linux installer instead of the dedicated Debian, and this works much better!

I created a completely clean VM and installed Debian 11.9.0 (Debian 12 is not shipped with the Python version required by STM32CubeIDE). After installing some missing .so files

sudo apt-get install libncurses5

I am able to compile and debug project without problem.

I got a reply from the ST support : "Unfortunately, the DEB package is "meant for" ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04".

The correct solution is to use the generic installer for Debian.