cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did ST remove support for IAR EWARM V6 in MXcube 5 ?

Gudgel.boB
Senior

So I said yes to updating to MXcube V 5.x and now I cannot compile the code because it generates code that is only compatible with the latest IAR EWARM versions. I have 6.x and there are evidently features in the new IAR versions that keep me from making it work.

Is there a repository of older MXcube ? I hope so. I do not have many thousands of dollars to upgrade. Why do software companies do this ?

4 REPLIES 4
Imen Ezzine
ST Employee

Hi Gudgel.boB,

When you say you updated to MXcube V 5.x, what was the previous version that had your project run correctly?

I did check for you and unfortunately the old repository for MXcube no longer exists as version 5 is old.

And when you say you can't upgrade, do you mean EWARM or MXcube?

I believe it would help if you can explain more or attach a copy of your project .

-Imen

The post was from close to 18 months ago

I'd suspect that as IAR is at least at Version 8 the deprecation of Version 6 probably reduces the regression testing burden, as it is. That and IAR turned a lot of libraries on their head, and made things like wchar double wide, breaking their own backward compatibility.

I have older versions of CubeMX, but hard to know if the back-office infrastructure to support them still exists.

As I understand the complaint it is that you're forcing the costly upgrading of functional/working commercial tools, and a code generator really should be template driven so that it is somewhat agnostic to the target compiler, and you already had a working IAR V6 project rendering tool.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Gudgel.boB
Senior

Thanks Clive.

Everytime something like this happens I just figure it is to make people like me pay many thousands of dollars to spend more money on an upgrade.

Easy money for everyone except for the person using the tools.

boB

Imen, I couldn't upgrade my MXCube. IAR EWARM (6.40) costs too much to upgrade but not a big deal because I started my development with a version of Cube (5?) that worked for me and I have been done with that quite a while ago. Even before I posted this subject.

Thank you very much !

boB