cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST Link upgraded to V2.J26.S0 stopped working and cannot be downgraded

tomasz2
Associate
Posted on February 10, 2016 at 21:11

I've used latest ST Link upgrade to STM32L053R8 Nucleo board (actually two of these).

It made them unusable.

ST Link shows in Windows, but doesn't work.

Also ST Link upgrade (previous and current version) fails:

JNI error returned by system: 121

JNI command error 0x10079 after cmd [-15, -128, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,

0, 0, 0]

0690X00000603IDQAY.jpg

My windows (7 64bit) has latest drivers.

Both boards worked before upgrade on V2.J24
7 REPLIES 7
Radosław
Senior
Posted on February 10, 2016 at 21:29

I will connect to this topic.

Why ST have to diferent update packeges? Different for STlink V2 and STLinkV2-1 but still  both can be updated by both packeges?

ngwese
Associate
Posted on February 15, 2016 at 18:13

I've run into similar problems. Upgraded st link firmware on a Nucleo 144 board from V2J26M13 to V2J26M15 and the board is now unreliable.

With the older version (...M13) appeared to work okay with the st-link software under Mac OSX 10.11.3 but I couldn't confirm that debugging worked so I tried the new firmware. 

The upgrade process failed (on the Mac) with a very similar error, after that the board was unrecognized by the upgrade tool.

I was able to eventually re-run the upgrade process (using the same ST supplied java upgrade tool) several from an Ubuntu 14.04 VM. The board appears to mostly work with st-link under Linux but remains hopelessly non-functional from a Mac.

Providing access to older firmware is very desirable in situations like this.

angelo23
Associate
Posted on February 17, 2016 at 10:18

Same for me!! After upgraded my Nucleo to 2.26.15 firmware never worked onto x64 Windows

But it can still possible to downgrade using an x86 S.O. because communication works with same St_link USB V2-1 drivers, not in x64.

After downgraded to 2.25.14 returned to work!!

S C
ST Employee
Posted on February 18, 2016 at 18:00

Hello,

to salwach.tomasz.001: V2.J26.S0 is not an expected firmware version for Nucleo board. It should be in the form V2JxxMyy. Where did you get this board ? Do you remember its initial firmware version when you received it ?

to all people facing issue with STLinkUpgrade on Nucleo boards:

1. remove the USB cable and connect it again. The LD1 led must be red, meaning the USB enumeration with the host is OK. If blinking, the enumeration is in progress or failed. Note that the host might refuse the connection

if not able to provide 300 mA. In this case, avoid low power scheme on the host and/or try other USB port. Ensure the USB drivers are installed (

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260219

for Windows)

2. Use ''Refresh device list'' or restart STLinkUpgrade.jar in order to ensure the application has a correct view of the system state

3. ''Open in upgrade mode'' makes the ST-Link run the USB loader firmware. It initiates an USB enumeration that can take some time the first time it is done. If failing, wait for LD1 to be red and try again. A very last recovery solution is to reset the ST-Link device through SB11 behind the board (brief shortcut between RST and SB11 pads).

In any cases here, LD1 must be red, and the STLink identified by the host as a single ''STMicroelectronics STLink dongle'' (not a composite device, neither mass storage disk nor Virtual Com Port available).

4. If OK, the ''Upgrade'' button appears and can be used

If something fails in the procedure above, please detail at which step, and also precise the LD1 status.

If something fails after the upgrade, when the new firmware is expected to run, please remove the USB cable and detail what happens when reconnecting it (LD1 state and host USB device list)

carmine
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 06:56

I can confirm the same issue and several people are reporting me the same problem. After updating the ST-LINK firmware to the latest 2.26.15, the ST-LINK interface nor longer works, and it's neither detected by the STLinkUpgrade.

This is the error message that appears:

0690X00000603MdQAI.jpg

The LD1 led remains fixed red while the STLinkUpgrade tries to connect to the ST LINK interface. 

carmine
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2016 at 07:23

I've found a solution.

1. Download this old ST-LINK firmware from

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm0cq4qo1mui1t0/stsw-link007.zip?dl=0

2. Connect your development board to the USB interface.
  3. As said above by SC, do a quick shortcut between SB11 and RST pads (they are located on the bottom side of the board).
  4. Start the STLinkUpgrade 3.0.3 (the one downloaded before) and downgrade the firmware.
  5. Disconnect your Nucleo board from USB and reconnect it again.

Full instructions with pictures 

http://www.carminenoviello.com/2016/02/26/restore-st-link-interface-bad-update-2-26-15-firmware/

S C
ST Employee
Posted on February 29, 2016 at 13:42

Hello cnoviello,

Thank you for your solution. The real problem has been identified, it happens on systems doing the USB command ''get device descriptor'' after the ''set configuration'', which seems common on MacOS at least. A fix is being prepared. Meanwhile the firmware at

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260217

has been downgraded back to V2J25M14, and can now be used also as recovery.

Your workaround is the only solution on failing configurations. Another workaround is to downgrade the ST-Link firmware from another host where the issue is not present.

Sorry for this issue and thank you again for your help in understanding and solving it