cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Error: Please specify Binaries path" refer to as an error when attempting to program a device.

MDeac.1
Associate III

System windows STM32MP157F-DK2 board. The binary I can load and the device connects but it throws the above error. I can find nowhere to set any path in the software.

6 REPLIES 6
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @MDeac.1​ ,

When opening the TSV to program your target an Binaries Path field appears.

I understand it's not well populated in your case.

0693W00000Bd2BSQAZ.png 

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MDeac.1
Associate III

Okay thank you for the response. I do not get that binaries path where I can enter the data so let me look into it further.

MDeac.1
Associate III

The short answer and it really depends on the platform you are working on.

- the binaries issue is because you are not using Linux.

With the .tsv structure and no way to operate this development from a solely windows PC unless it has had VMWARE installed is just asking for lost work and cost. The Linux machine I currently have is solely for Android / Microchip development and that is the machine I would have to put it on and that is not up to much at this time. The mistake and I assumed incorrectly the development system would run on windows alone it does not.

The Linux machine is the true dependency here and mentioning windows is only to suggest a greater compatibility. I have ordered another ST development board because I want a straight forward compile / program environment without the complication of an alternative operating system in the middle and this board I shall discard as really not useful. I did use the cube IDE to create a binary/elf file but you need to fulfill all the other dependencies to even achieve any meaningful programming, requiring Linux, VMWARE etc. etc.

I have ordered a new simpler ST board to check what I feel will be the same issue as it is in the structure of what ST has designed for its system. If that works fine, if not I will skip over ST as I know what I want and ST will never be able too offer that because of the dependency structure.

Hi @MDeac.1​ ,

I understand your concern, please note that CubeProgrammer is fully supported on W10 (we use it daily).

CubeIDE is also working on W10 for Cortex-M4 Firmware development and debugging. Only Linux development related features are absent from W10.

I agree that Linux development require an Linux environment (dedicated or virtual machine such as VMWare, but other free virtual machine players should work), but this is also a Linux community choice as some environments/tools are not supported on W10.

Historically, Linux come from PC world, then go later to embedded systems, so we cannot blame that Linux people community target their tools for Linux PC.

I agree that working with an Ubuntu virtual machine is an addition complexity for the initial setup, but once this step achieved, it is handy (we use it daily as well as many of our customers).

Some virtual machine are free for non-commercial usage, apart maybe some additional PC resources (memory and disk).

In the future, the Linux toolsets might be supported on W10 thanks to WSL, but this is not completely the case today.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000q389PSAQ/stm32cubeide-linux-wslg-under-windows10

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000nZBmYSAW/bitbake-stimageweston-cannot-connect-to-bitbake-server

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MDeac.1
Associate III

There is no need to reply but too inform you of what I found.

I liked the IDE interface and I liked the programmer. I also tried the programmer shell interface to connect etc. from a windows perspective that was good.

In the IDE I quickly created a binary using the HAL and modified an example to on/off the LEDS assuming the IO pins were what was defined in the manual.

Information is sparse but I also looked at the information out there, not so good and the community maybe not that popular because of not so many users.

Reason I say that is I looked at views, no reply needed I solved the problem for myself.

IF THAT HAD PROGRAMMED INTO THE DEVICE I WAS SOLD ON THE SYSTEM 100%. From then on it is down to my knowledge in embedded and fully understand USB, I2C etc. having coded all those interfaces for myself I could likely evolve the device to what I wanted it too be using the datasheets etc.

MDeac.1
Associate III

For your information ...

Okay I can use the STM32H723 nucleo -144 board.

Cube32 IDE and cube 32 progammer programmed the binary and that works 🙂

So a consistent useable system and now I can look into the board and the HAL to see what it can do.

This automatically enabled me to improve a device I already build and export.

Looks lke the cypress development kit stays in the box.😀