cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer on MacOS doesn't recognize S19 file extension, but HEX works in unexpected ways.

I was doing some DFU testing and I noticed a weird design choice in STM32CubeProgrammer.

My tool chain normally generates .elf files, and I normally use objcopy to generate S19 records in a file with a .s19 suffix. When using CubeProg's Erasing & programming tool's File path Browse button, I cannot select a file with a .s19 suffix.

For giggles I changed the suffix of my object file to .hex and CubeProg allowed me to select the file.

Now the weird part, even though the file had a .hex suffix and a S-Record content, CubeProg interpreted the content of the file correctly and programmed my chip correctly. I tried looking through the docs to see what file format/suffix CubeProg will recognize, but the documentation has more to do with the built in bootloader of the STM32 family than how to use CubeProg.

To make sure that I wasn't just missing something obvious, I changed my suffix to srec, Srec, S19, and s19, but CubeProg wouldn't recognize the file as interesting. But .hex worked, even though the file didn't contain hex records.

So, I grabbed the latest (v2.3.0) version (which doesn't install on MacOS Mojave unless you brute force the install from the command line) and I was able to duplicate the issue.

It looks like the Browse button dialog on the Erasing & Programming tab needs to be altered to recognize all of the various recognized file formats.

Thanks,

Andrei from The Great White North.

1 REPLY 1

Still a bug in v2.5.0.