cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE V1.15 ST-Link upgrade problem

PGump.1
Senior

Hi all,

I have a STM32C011 project. I am using a STMF0-Discovery as a ST-Link, as I have done many times before.

I have upgraded STM32CubeIDE to V1.15. It is asking me to upgrade the firmware in the ST-Link. Going through the upgrade process, it fails stating "Unexpected flash size for ST-Link micro. Don't know how to upgrade".

If I select No to the upgrade request, CubeIDE stops there...

I used STM32CubeProgrammer to upgrade the firmware in the ST-LInk, and STM32CubeProgrammer is happy to work with it.

But STM32CubeIDE V1.15 won't work with it!

How do I get it to work?

Thanking you
Pedro

15 REPLIES 15
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

I am using a STMF0-Discovery as a ST-Link

Do yourself a favor: get a new ST-LINKv3. 

Thanks for your reply.

However, the STMF0-Discovery has multiple functions in this project.

Adding another module is not the solution I'm looking for.

Kind regards
Pedro

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Then disable ST-Link version checking in CubeIDE to be able to debug the F0 board. (And  get a ST-Linkv3 for the STM32C0)

@Pavel A. wrote:

Then disable ST-Link version checking in CubeIDE to be able to debug the F0 board. (And  get a ST-Linkv3 for the STM32C0)

Thank you for your reply, however, I clearly said -

If I select No to the upgrade request, CubeIDE stops there...

and

However, the STMF0-Discovery has multiple functions in this project.

Adding another module is not the solution I'm looking for.

Kind regards
Pedro

Gaius_baltar_2025
Associate

I have been having the same issues; since then a lot of my programs can't flash onto the board and the behaviour of the ST-LINK is very weird. When I open up a program on debugger during the rare-times it does work there is no uart output and some programs when I flash fail 

Barber.Mark
Associate III

It seems V1.15 has more problems, i was working on a project the upgrade was ready i closed the project and did the upgrade. Then went back to my project. Now i cannot download my code for debugging, getting some very odd error message. Screen shot attached. I can still connect to the hardware using STM32CubeProgrammer no problem.

i would also suggest getting a STLINKV3. My old STLINKV2 will not upgrade under V1.15.

i was hoping some of the bugs and instabilities in the IDE would have been fixed now i cannot do my work. this i caused by upgrading.

SofLit
ST Employee

Seems there is a regression somewhere with V1.15

See  https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/problem-after-updating-cubeide-to-1-15-0/td-p/653175

and

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/with-stm32cube-ide-v1-15-0-update-problem-with-stlink/td-p/652514

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

Try this workaround to unblock your situation until this issue get fixed in CubeIDE

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi,

I have tried the above workaround. Unfortunately it does NOT work! I get

Verifying...                          ################################# [100%]
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
       package st-stlink-udev-rules-1.0.3-2.x86_64 is already installed

and the problem persists...

Kind regards
Pedro