cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh install of STM32CubeProgrammer on macOS opens with blank screen

mikew67
Associate II
  • Installation of all STM32Cube software on Macs is problematic and appears to poorly supported. Suspect that's a market share problem vs. Windows.  But that's a topic for a more thorough discussion elsewhere. (I responded to a recent automated survey with a request to contact me for a full discussion.)
  • In this particular case, I'm installing STM32CubeProgrammer from en.stm32cubeprg-mac-v2-14-0.zip.  No installation guidance (either a Startup doc or README file) packaged in the zip as normally expected.
  • After several failed installation attempts (based on prior experience installing STM32Cube apps, e.g., Running the ,app installer from the CLI or changing file settings using xattr, I did a careful review of Programmer documentation.  So I finally found macOS Installation instructions in paragraph 1.2.3 on page 12 of the UM2237 document (notably nowhere nearby when I was in the middle of the installation process).
  • The normal procedure outlined there failed.  The first alternate suggested actually allowed the installer to run and the installed Programmer app appeared to launch OK.
  • But it brought up a totally blank window and restarting, etc., failed to resolve the issue.
  • Of note, the STM32TrustedPackageCreator app, installed in the same process, opens up fine with a full, responsive window.
  • I suspect this is a Java issue.  As experienced Java programers say: "Java is a language for writing an app once and debugging everywhere." 
  • Any help getting Programmer running properly on macOS will be appreciated.  Without it I'm totally blocked in my STM32Cube development.

Mike

Configuration Info:

• Machine MacBook Pro 10,1 (Retina, 15-inch, early 2013)
  • macOS: Ventura 13.4.1 with OCLP v0.6.8
  • Java: 
    • openjdk version "20.0.1" 2023-04-18
    • OpenJDK Runtime Environment Temurin-20.0.1+9 (build 20.0.1+9)
    • OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Temurin-20.0.1+9 (build 20.0.1+9, mixed mode, sharing)

PS: I'm also running Parallels Desktop 18.3.2 with a Windows 10 VM that allows me to install and run all your STM32Cube apps without difficulty, but here the handling of virtual USB ports does not allow Programmer to properly connect through the the Mac's USB ports to your hardware -- a problem I need to pursue with Parallels.  So blocked there, too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikew67
Associate II

Cancel this support request!

Problem was on my side.  (Incorrect/old graphics driver.  Reinstall of OCLP v0.6.8 "Post Install" files fixed the problem.)

Thanks for your attention.

Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mikew67
Associate II

Cancel this support request!

Problem was on my side.  (Incorrect/old graphics driver.  Reinstall of OCLP v0.6.8 "Post Install" files fixed the problem.)

Thanks for your attention.

Mike