cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USART3 not available to use in CubeMX

AShetty
Associate II

I am trying to generate code using CubeMX (version 6.11.1), using the NUCLEO-H563ZI board to start the project. But, I am getting the following pop-up when trying to use the USART3 peripheral which seems to be unavailable:

AShetty_0-1723109965194.png

Because of this, I had to downgrade the version of CubeMX to 6.10.0 to use USART3. However, I observed that even after saving the ioc file, later when we opened the file again CubeMX had overwritten the pins to the default state.

AShetty_1-1723110323714.png

Why is this happening and is there any workaround for it?

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

Did you look at the "Details & documentation":

AndrewNeil_0-1723110600245.png

That is just the data sheet and the reference manual.

AScha.3
Chief II

This is the VCP , on USART3 on this board connected, so its already used - so it shows this to you.

If you wnat to use it, you have to cut the connections on the board and make your hardware then to the rx/tx PD8/9 .

Why not using it as intended for VCP (or debug printf(...) ) ?

see circuit of this board:

AScha3_0-1723115028824.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The application I am using is not using these pins for debugging purposes but rather to send data from the board to the PC. 

I am able to generate code by unlocking the pins and enabling USART3 in CubeMX 6.10.0. But CubeMX seems to overwrite it again to VCP when I open the file again.

One workaround I found was to use STM32H563ZIT6 MCU instead of the NUCLEO board before starting the project in CubeMX. Is there no resolution to this in the NUCLEO-H563ZI board project?

Hello @AShetty 

When you start your project, you have to disable the generation of the Human Machine Interface using the Button "Unselect All" then ok to open you .ioc file.

STTwo32_0-1723118790157.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

It would be really helpful if the  "Details & documentation" link in the pop-up actually told you that!

Just linking to the data sheet and the reference manual is useless - neither of those documents would be any help at all in this situation!

🙄