cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CUBEIDE delete all of my files and folder

STria
Associate II

When I try to create stm32 project using CUBEIDE, I accidentally click "cancel". Then CUBEIDE delete the folder generated by them which it is good. After that, it delete all of my files inside one higher level parent directory. WTF!! This is severe bug. Also it can't be restored easily (nothing in recycle bin). Don't ask about using recovery program, some file is already corrupted (I already try it)

Imagine that you create file on C:\, does it will delete all of my files in drive C: how severe it is..��

23 REPLIES 23
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

I'm not sure how I can reproduce this.

There are a few times I can click "Cancel" when creating a project but never after I've clicked the "Next" or "Finish" button.

Where in the flow did you click "Cancel"?

This type of failure is reported with sufficient frequency that clearly the "do no harm" edict has failed. In a system which is going to do a wholesale replacement it's is probably advisable for the tool to automatically archive files, so the user has recovery/rollback options, even if they blew through all the stop and warning signs.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Ixox
Associate II

Aouch that just happened to me ��

I imported a TrueStudio 9.3 project into stm32cubeide 1.0.0.

Everything was fine until i made a modification in CubeMx and regenerated code !!!

0690X000008a6nNQAQ.png

I had a code generation error then All my files and folder were deleted.

Yes i have a recent backup but that's really frightening !

Xavier

This seems to be two different issues, one at project creation and one when you generate new code because of changes to the .ioc file. Perhaps they have the same root cause, I'm not sure.

As @Community member​ mentioned I believe some sort of an archive function similar to the importer might be good.

Do you have a way to reliably recreate the problem? Either if you have a project where it happens you and you're able to send it to me or if you can write a step-by-step.

@Markus GIRDLAND​  My problem occur when click "Cancel". Then I exit CUBEIDE. After that my files are gone.

Thanks Markus for your reply.

It happened once just after i installed stm32cubeide.

It didn't happen again since.

Doesn't the error message help you ? I have no idea why i had it but it seems linked to my project folder deletion.

I'm still a bit confused as to exactly when I can click "Cancel" to reproduce the error. If I go "File -> New -> STM32 Project" and then "Cancel" I don't get any unexpected behaviors even if I do exit CubeIDE afterwards.

Could you make a step-by-step instruction for how you get the error?

The error message helps me in the sense that I know where in the flow it happens and that something went wrong with the code generation but without a reliable way to recreate it I'm not sure how I would write a ticket for the developers to take a look at it.

I'll try to mess around with it a bit more to try and get the same error you got.

Hi, I too have been fighting with the integrated CubeMX. The deletion of files happens when the code generation cannot be completed and CubeMX has already started deleting files. After correcting the problem CubeMX creates only a clean project.

Think of having a big project and something like this happens when enabling another feature in CubeMX. Of course you should have a backup :).

The free standing CubeMX refuses to create STM32CubeIDE projects but does TrueStudio (5.2.1). It also has an option to import the chip settings which is missing in the embedded one and would be sometimes be helpful. 5.2.1 CubeMX .ioc files cannot be opened in STM32CubeIDE because it still uses 5.2.0.

I think I could go on for a while. Sample projects coming with F7 Cube have no .ioc file. Awkward opening of these projects. Some don't work. Specially when TouchGFX is involved.

In short I am looking forward to an update. But there should be some real CubeMX testing be done before the next release.