cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeID V1.6.1 horrible performance

Osto
Senior

Hi,

The actual version of STMCubeIDE has a horrible performance bug, when I change any IP in the MX view. When I change something, it needs min 30 seconds up to 90 seconds A simple activation of CRC IP needs ~35 seconds. This happens with 2 different computers. One is with a 4.2GHz, 6 core CPU and the other is with 4 Core, 3GHz CPU. During wait there is no action in CPU load. The load changes depend on the system between 5-15% on one CPU core. The other cores are sleeping.

When I use the STMCubeMX to change the configuration, then its running very fast. The same job needs 1-2 seconds sometimes less than 1 second.

Please fix the bug.

Best regards,

Osto

9 REPLIES 9
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Hello Osto!

We have received a few bug reports regarding performance issues similar to what you describe. It doesn't seem to be systematic and because of that hard to troubleshoot and narrow down the problem.

So far we have no computer where we can reproduce the problem. Could you let us know more about your PC environments? Windows version? Are these performance issues on every MX project or a specific one with some specific setting?

What if you select a smaller device such as an STM32F0?

Osto
Senior

Dear Markus,

Please find attached the example project with an L0 MCU which was genereted fresh and has the same problem.

The interesting behavior was that after generating the project, I could make 2 changes witout performance problems then its started again with hanging for long time.

One of the Machine is Win10 x64, V 2004 build 19041.928, has quad core 2.7GHz Core i7-7500U with 8GB. The other is Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU, 6 Core, around 4GHz, should have almost the same Windows, 32GB.

If you need access to the machines, I could give you access to one of them with TeamViewer or AnyDesk. Send me a private message with your email address or directly to the email address behind this account, I will contact you, how to go formward. If possible, please send me also your phone number. It could make things easier and faster.

This problem doesnt happen when I use CubeMx. I mean when I open the same IOC File with CubeMX then I can work normal. but when I open it with CubeIDE, the same jobs needs extremly long.

Thanks,

best regards,

Osto

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Running myself on a Win10 host I7-8700 3.2Ghz + 16Go ram + GeForceGT1030 I've got a try of your shared project. I'm not facing issue despite doing multiple IPs & MWs setups.

Any chance to run extra trial on your side adding more log ? Have a look to your workspace some .metadata/.log4j setup file is available.

Move    <param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/> to     <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG"/>.

Remove then .metadata/.log & .metadata/.ide.log and start a new IDE session. Proceed as usual with your perftest project and please share back such 2 files once facing performance issues.

Osto
Senior

Hi,

I attached the log files. I leave the old messages in the logfile because there are a lot of error there. Maybe they help also.

Thanks,

Osto

Looking myself at log trace found nothing weird related to performance issue (trace timeline sounds fine)

Let's hope STM will get a look at.

Dear Markus,

I'm still waiting for your answer!!!!

I'm sorry about the delay.

I tried it using the project you sent me but I don't get the same thing. I can make changes and it takes at most a second or two. No big load on the CPU that I can see.

I'm using 1.6.1 on Windows 10.

I can't see anything obvious in the logs either but I've sent them to a developer to take a look at. I'll write a ticket for this performance issue and attaching your logs for easier tracking on our side.

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

@Osto​ looking back at your shared log you're relying first guess on a 1.3.0 IDE release updated to 1.6.1.

Could get a try to perform a fresh install STM32CubeIDE - Integrated Development Environment for STM32 - STMicroelectronics to get a try with.

Please share if still facing performance issue based on ?

If yes :( could you create Thanks such 1.6.1 release a brand new workspace and just import your project in relying on File > Open Project From File System. Any progress ?

If performance issue IDE session please could you share "Help > About > Installation Details > Configuration" tab content ?

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

@Osto​  (Community Member)​ I've found back a old post which may help: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BvlLR1SQM/stm32cubeide-generates-high-cpu-load-win7

Ok was Win7 based but who knows ...

Looking back at your shared log you're relying on some german language setup 'NL=de_DE'. @Community member​ (Community Member)​ was claiming moving windows display language from German to English is solving his trouble.

Feel tree to try and share outcome ...