cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO8N STM32G031C6 USART not working.

fancyrat
Associate III

I'm trying to setup an USART for a very small MCU of the STM32G0 family, the MCU it's theoretically being programmed, but the USART is not responding, I configured the MCU just like I did in other projects (of bigger MCUs), I'm not able to find what I'm doing wrong in this case.

This is what I can see from the USART (theoretically in this image I'm sending "0xFF" all the time, but it does the same whatever I put in the buffer).

0693W00000YAa9tQAD.pngCodewise I'm enabling the USART DMA with LL_USART_EnableDMAReq_TX(USART1), then configuring with LL_DMA_ConfigAddresses.

Some checks with LL_DMA_IsEnabledChannel, and finally sending stuff with both LL_DMA_SetDataLength & LL_DMA_EnableChannel once the buffer has something on it.

Also tried to clear TC1 flag & disable channel every communication, checking it with LL_DMA_IsActiveFlag_TC1.

The USART is configured as Half-duplex (as it need to be) & baudrate, word length, etc...are correct: 0693W00000YAaAhQAL.png

18 REPLIES 18

Yes, baud rate is set correctly. I haven't managed to make it work with the DMA (as I want). But the following code is working right now:

void send_uart_data(const uint8_t *data, uint32_t size) {
    for (uint32_t i = 0; i < size; i++) {
        while (!LL_USART_IsActiveFlag_TXE(USART1)); // Wait until TX buffer is empty
        LL_USART_TransmitData8(USART1, data[i]);
    }
}

void comms_task(void)
{
    const uint8_t data[] = "Hello, world!";
    send_uart_data(data, sizeof(data)-1);
}

I don't know, I'm probably missing a configuration or initialization in the DMA. This is what I've done in the last try, I've tried more complex stuff, but wasn't working, so I'm trying simpler things now:

/* Define UART Tx DMA buffers */
uint8_t uart_dma_buffer[32] = "Hello, world!";
uint8_t dma_buffer_size = sizeof(uart_dma_buffer);

void comms_init(void){
     /* Enable DMA in the USART */
    LL_USART_EnableDMAReq_TX(USART1);

/* Configure DMA for USART Tx */
    LL_DMA_InitTypeDef dma_init = {0};
    dma_init.Direction = LL_DMA_DIRECTION_MEMORY_TO_PERIPH;
    dma_init.PeriphOrM2MSrcAddress = (uint32_t)&USART1->RDR;
    dma_init.MemoryOrM2MDstAddress = (uint32_t)uart_dma_buffer;
    dma_init.Mode = LL_DMA_MODE_CIRCULAR;
    dma_init.PeriphOrM2MSrcIncMode = LL_DMA_PERIPH_NOINCREMENT;
    dma_init.MemoryOrM2MDstIncMode = LL_DMA_MEMORY_INCREMENT;
    dma_init.PeriphOrM2MSrcDataSize = LL_DMA_PDATAALIGN_BYTE;
    dma_init.MemoryOrM2MDstDataSize = LL_DMA_MDATAALIGN_BYTE;
    dma_init.NbData = dma_buffer_size;

LL_DMA_Init(DMA1, LL_DMA_CHANNEL_1, &dma_init);

/* Enable DMA channel */
    LL_DMA_EnableChannel(DMA1, LL_DMA_CHANNEL_1);
}

void comms_task(void)
{
     /* Wait for DMA transfer complete */
    while (!LL_DMA_IsActiveFlag_TC1(DMA1)) {}

/* Clear DMA transfer complete flag */
    LL_DMA_ClearFlag_TC1(DMA1);

/* Restart DMA transfer */
    LL_DMA_SetDataLength(DMA1, LL_DMA_CHANNEL_1, dma_buffer_size);
    LL_DMA_EnableChannel(DMA1, LL_DMA_CHANNEL_1);
}

Your polarity looks inverted. With TTL/3V level signals a UART should idle high. The start bit is initiated by a high to low transition. These images look like your line is idling low. Unless I am missing something, like you have a TTL-to-RS232 level shifter that isn't able to drive below 0V???? I don't know how that (inverted could happen in the G0, but then I don't know much about the G0 family.

yeah, that's for sure

fancyrat
Associate III

Ok, this is really stupid.

I managed to get a consistent (wrong) message using DMA. If I use my hands as a "resistance" between both Tx wires, I receive the correct messages.

I guess that I'm stuck now working as a wire for the rest of my life.

Now that you said it...yeah, that's weird, There's nothing you're missing, I don't have a TTL-to-RS232 shifter.

I'm taking a look at it, everything is really weird. I managed to receive signals if I sent messages very quickly and it's very inconsistent, if I had a delay to sent messages every second then it's impossible to make it work and the signal you see it's like the one were talking about.

I don't understand anything.

Maybe it's just noise, what I see now looks like a word, but the characters are wrong. Maybe he's interpreting that the start or stop bit or whatever is in the wrong position.

KnarfB
Principal III

STM32G031C6 has no SO8N in CubeMX.

The DMA in your above code is setup for receiving, not transmitting:

dma_init.PeriphOrM2MSrcAddress = (uint32_t)&USART1->RDR;

hth

KnarfB

In CubeMX I'm working with STM32G031J6Mx SO8N. I think that both chips are mostly the same.

0693W00000YAtGtQAL.png

Yeah, the disco board? For your above plots: double-check that you have probed the correct pins. On my disco, I have swapped RX and TX pins internally (CubeMX), so PB6 is free for SWD debugging. Make sure that TX is configured as push-pull PP, not OD by CubeMX.

Its also advisable to leave/config PF2 as NRST (option bytes), so you don't lock out yourself like several people here already did.

[Edit]: Have tried it with HAL_UART_Transmit_DMA and .. it worked as expected.

hth

KnarfB