cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.27.0

SElli.11
Associate III

Hi,

I have just installed STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.12.1 Build: 16088_20230420_1057 (UTC) onto my Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (fully updated) system. The install process ended stating that the IDE had been installed correctly.

I then wanted to install the package STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.27.0. So, following the step given by community member RJepp.1 on https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001vE2MNSA0/how-do-i-install-stm32cube-mcu-package-for-stm32f4-series-1271-without-an-internet-connection, I also went to (IDE) Help->Manage Embedded Software Packages. However, in my case, nothing appeared on screen. All that happened was that the Help drop down menu disappeared.

I should state that I did this while the IDE was displaying the Information Center<tab>/STM32CubeIDE Home page/screen.

In the response noted above it is stated that "1. rename the main pack from "en.stm32cubef4_v1-27-0.zip" to "stm32cube_fw_f4_v1270.zip". I did this.

The response noted above also stated that "2. Copy the zip file to the STM32CubeMx repository found under "C:\Users\the username\STM32Cube\Repository". This I also did.

Then the response states "3. Then import the patch with Help->Check for Embedded Software Packages Updates option from the local repository where you have downloaded it." This resulted in the display of a "Embedded Software Packages Manager" dialog. On the "STM32Cube MCU Packages" tab I selected first STM32F4 and then "STM32Cube Package for STM32F4 Series (Size: 657 MB) version 1.27.0" and then clicked on "From Local..."

On the resulting "Select a STM32Cube Package File" I then selected (folder) STM32Cube, then (folder) Repository, then (file) stm32cube_fw_f4_v1270.zip" and then clicked on the Open button. This resulted in the display of the "Select a STM32Cube Package File" which stated that "You cannot select a file in STM32CubeMX Repository".

Using the Dolphin FM, I checked the permissions for folders /home/username/STM32Cube and /home/username/STM32Cube/Repository. Both folders have their "rwx" permissions set for my user and group.

Folder /home/username/STM32Cube does not contain a sub-folder labelled STM32CubeMX.

What have I done wrong/left out/not understood ?

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

First a tip: hints for the Windows version cannot necessarily be applied directly to Linux environments.

Furthermore, the firmware structure may become a little clearer if you consider the following:

• the relevant firmware version number is not derived from the file name of the ZIP archive, but is contained in the archive in the file package.xml
  • an installation of the firmware can be carried out completely manually
  • the path to the firmware is defined in the STM32CubeIDE in
    • Preferences > STM32Cube > Firmware Update > Repository Setup
  • the firmware package (ZIP) can be unpacked manually directly into this path
  • any existing patches are simply unpacked into that path the same way, whereby several previous files are overwritten
  • as soon as the STM32CubeIDE accesses the firmware path, e.g. via the embedded STM32CubeMX, the new version is immediately available

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

First a tip: hints for the Windows version cannot necessarily be applied directly to Linux environments.

Furthermore, the firmware structure may become a little clearer if you consider the following:

• the relevant firmware version number is not derived from the file name of the ZIP archive, but is contained in the archive in the file package.xml
  • an installation of the firmware can be carried out completely manually
  • the path to the firmware is defined in the STM32CubeIDE in
    • Preferences > STM32Cube > Firmware Update > Repository Setup
  • the firmware package (ZIP) can be unpacked manually directly into this path
  • any existing patches are simply unpacked into that path the same way, whereby several previous files are overwritten
  • as soon as the STM32CubeIDE accesses the firmware path, e.g. via the embedded STM32CubeMX, the new version is immediately available

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.