cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler() call is missing in CubeMX v5 generated Systick_Handler.

Innomatic
Associate II

When STM32CubeMX v.5 generates project, it does not insert HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHander() inside SysTick_Handler(). As a result, your HAL_SYSTICK_Callback() no longer works. Previous versions of CubeMX used to generate following code for SysTick_Handler()

/**
* @brief This function handles System tick timer.
*/
void SysTick_Handler(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN SysTick_IRQn 0 */

/* USER CODE END SysTick_IRQn 0 */
  HAL_IncTick();
  HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler();
  /* USER CODE BEGIN SysTick_IRQn 1 */

/* USER CODE END SysTick_IRQn 1 */
}

In version 5. it becomes

/**
* @brief This function handles System tick timer.
*/
{

HAL_IncTick();

}

23 REPLIES 23
JGawe
Associate

Hi, I have a similar problem. I used HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler () to increment my own timer software to count the duration of the event on the GPIO microcontroller.

Now, instead of using HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler(), do I set up a hardware Timer and use it to count the duration? Or can I getting the value from the system variable 'uwTick' which is incremented in HAL_IncTick () - is checking the value of 'uwTick' is ugly? and not suitable for the final release solution ??

Hello,

actually you can still call HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler(), but you have to place the call in the "USER" area by yourself.

Dear Nawres,

I really hope you made a mistake in claiming "the HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler is used for debug purpose", because we are getting in real large problems with many of our software applications. Please solve this what we experience as a serious bug/misunderstanding.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and your help.

Kind regards,

Carlo

Dear Nawres,

The following text is quoted from your user manual:

"System timer

The system timer, SysTick, is a 24-bit count-down timer. Use this as a Real Time

Operating System (RTOS) tick timer or as a simple counter."

See document: PM0056 Programming manual, DocID15491 Rev 6, page 12.

And I can not find any 'Cube coding rules' or any other statement in the documentation that says otherwise.

Kind regards,

Carlo

That's chip level programming document.

The HAL examples don't use HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler();

More importantly, the thing everyone seems to miss is the chronic issues and dead locks that will result from callback functions trying to use all kinds of other HAL sub-functions which have dependencies on the ticker and timeouts, and that callbacks occur under interrupt context, and the processor can't preempt an interrrupt it is already in.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

No, not a bug.

The bug is everyone putting random crap in the callbacks which have run-times >1ms, blocking, or otherwise having a circular dependency on the 1ms(1KHz) ticker incrementing. So basically a whole class of dead-lock and priority inversion type issues. For the mechanics of other parts of the HAL to work the SysTick must have the highest priority and preempt all other IRQ.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Sorry, but if you open first document on Page 102/327 of UM1718 Rev 2 the document tells us:

Example of configuration using SysTick without FreeRTOS:

{

HAL_IncTick();

HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler();

}

But when code is created with Cube V. 5.0, HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler(); is missing! Thats the problem! With previous versions of Cube the call was created automatically.

Marcelo Barros
Associate III

I found some more missing points:

1) In *msp.c we do not have anymore the priority setting for SYSTICK. However, Cube allows you to modify the SYSTICK priority. So where is it located ?

2) During clock initialization, we do not have anymore any call to SYSTICK functions like HAL_SYSTICK_Config() or HAL_SYSTICK_CLKSourceConfig().

Reading the documentation, it is stated that "SysTick_Handler not generated in the code when FreeRTOSTM is enabled" but my project does not have FreeRTOS and all Systick related items are missing.

In my opinion, SYSTICK is a valuable resource and should be made available for developers as before. We use it for many tick based applications.

Lionel1
Associate II

Hi,

Same for me. When I passed my code with this new version of CubeMX, nothing work.

I spent several hours to find that the problem is the missing "HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler();" line >:(

Hopefully I found this post of Innomatic 🙂