cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM32H745ZI(LQFP144) FMC support external SDRAM or SRAM? (not PSRAM).

EOzde.1
Associate III

Hi,

In CUBEMX with LQFP144, there is no configuration for both SRAM and SDRAM? But with other packets (LQFP176, LQFP208) there is a configuration like SDRAM1, SDRAM2, SRAM. Is it not possible with the LQFP144 or if I configure the parameters directly from the code, would it works? Because I believe all packets have the same properties except the pin numbers. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the configuration tool, using either the cubeMX-IDE or the older tool, do a control left click on the pin in question. That should cause the alternate pins for the function to blink. As an example, SPI5-MISO on the F767 has a pin to the left side of the chip, and also one to the bottom.

For any function and any chip:

the configuration generator reads the assigned functions from the chip model. You can only select legal functions for any pin. The "produce code" generates user pin named definitions in main.h. Look for stm32xxxxxxx_hal_msp.c in the core/source directory. Replace the xxxxxx by something appropriate to your processor. Check the inits, and you will find where the configuration tool defines the pin functions for the processor.

You do NOT need to mess with this. If you're using the MX configuration tools, defining the alternate functions at that level and in that application will work for you.

If you are designing your own board, you have the most flexibility. If you use a Nucleo board, then you have less, but the alternate functions will likely be different for each project. If you use a Discovery board, be aware that the default setups (say for FMC on the 459i Disco board) are not used without modification, there's an alternate pin used.

So: only your user named pins are in main.h.

Use the configuration tool (even when using BSP drivers) to assign alternate pins.

Mixing BSP drivers on DISCO boards with cubeMX drivers is another issue entirely.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Hello @EOzde.1​ ,

Yes, they could be configured by STM32CubeMX or you can configure the parameters directly from the code.

Otherwise, Can you provide the STM32CubeMX version used?

BeST Regards,

Walid

EOzde.1
Associate III

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate that.

I am actually using CubeIDE. I don't know how much difference it makes? Its version is 1.6.1. My CubeMX version is 6.2.1. So you are saying that there is no configuration for LQFP144 in cubeMX but if I configure the parameters directly from the code, not with cubeMX It would work?

Thank you. Best Regards.

Hello @EOzde.1​ ,

you can configure your FMC on STM32H745ZI (LQFP144) using the STM32CubeMX but make sure you have selected the necessary core.

As well, if you configure the parameters directly from the code, It should work.

BeST Regards,

Walid

TDK
Guru

The FMC_A0 pin isn't broken out on the LQFP144, which I believe is required for SDRAM/SRAM.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000012UyVLSA0/stm32h745zilqfp144-fmc-and-sdram-support

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
EOzde.1
Associate III

Yes, I see that but isn't it just a GPIO with an alternate function feature. If I configure lets say PBO as FMC_A0 (AF) and use one of the examples that st provided for SDRAM. I believe it should work. Do you think it makes sense 🙂 Thanks for your answer.

Best Regards.

QSHAO.1
ST Employee

with my cubeMX, the FMC seems not available for STM32H745ZI.

QSHAO.1
ST Employee

sorry, I mean the FMC seems be able to support PSRAM and NOR flash based on CubeMX

FMC_A0 isn’t on the PB0 pin.
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
QSHAO.1
ST Employee

And SDRAM is not supported by FMC on STM32H745ZI as several signals (like BA0) are not available on this package of QFP144.