cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H573 Debugging in CubeIDE not working

gnarrf95
Associate

Hi,

I'm having issues debugging my custom STM32H573 board.
It used to work, before restoring my laptop to factory settings and reinstalling the IDE.

I hope someone can help me with the situation, I don't know what fixes to try anymore.

Setup:

• Custom board using STM32H573RIT6
  • ST-LINK V3MINIE (Firmware Version V3J15M7)
  • STM32CubeIDE 1.16.1
  • STM32CubeProgrammer v2.17.0
  • ST-LINK GDB Server Version 7.8.0

Problem:

When starting a Debugging session, the STLink does not download the software onto the MCU, even though it should be enabled according to the debugging configuration. The CubeProgrammer that should run in the IDE does not start (according to the gdbserver logs).

Flashing the software using the STM32CubeProgrammer works without an issue, so the building process seems to work.

The MCU software also seems to be consistently crashing, when starting the debug session.

Tested Fixes (did not work):

I already tried downloading an older version of STM32CubeIDE and updating it, downloading and installing the latest version directly, using OpenOCD and debugging the project in VS Code.

All the same result.

I also tried flashing the software using STM32CubeProgrammer and then starting the debug session with software download disabled. The MCU run the software and I could pause it, but breakpoints did not work. When I then tried resetting the MCU with the IDE, I got the situation described before.

I hope all the necessary information is there.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @gnarrf95 

First let me thank you for posting.

This is a known issue and it impact Cortex-M33 based MCUs. (Internal ticket number 191086)
There are two temporary solution:

• Either use OpenOCD for debug
  • Or flash the elf file using the STM32CubeProgrammer standalone and configure the debugger in STM32CubeIDE to just load the symbols.

SemerCHERNI_0-1728399205686.png

KR,
Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.