cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST, Please stop login strategy in your tools

Led
Senior

Hi ST

I generally appreciate your tools and how to keep on make them better, keeping also quality on track.

But let me say this: It is highly annoying that it is mandatory to login in the CubeMX and CubeIDE.

Please remove this again.

Use case: as a embedded SW developer I give my CubeMX project to the HW developer for review. For this short task he does not want to create a login. This is highly annoying and I request to remove this again.

Please understand that for development this is just an additional work where people will rather not use the tool than create a login.

If login is required for the download: ok. But let the devleoper decide whether he wants to download on its own or via the tool. No login should be needed to use the tools.

Thanks for your undestanding.

Led

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @Led and welcome to the community,

Thank you for your contributions and for this explanation. In the case you want to work without being connected, STM32CubeIDE makes this possible by following these instructions:
• Manually download the needed STM32Cube firmware packages from the STMicroelectronics website
www.st.com
• Inside STM32CubeIDE, use the following menus:
1. [Help]>[Manage embedded software packages]
2. [STM32Cube MCU Packages]>[From local...]
• Point to the manually downloaded zip file, then accept the license and install it.

Otherwise, I will report the suggestion to remove the login feature to the development team for further investigation.

Thanks,

Rim.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @Led and welcome to the community,

Thank you for your contributions and for this explanation. In the case you want to work without being connected, STM32CubeIDE makes this possible by following these instructions:
• Manually download the needed STM32Cube firmware packages from the STMicroelectronics website
www.st.com
• Inside STM32CubeIDE, use the following menus:
1. [Help]>[Manage embedded software packages]
2. [STM32Cube MCU Packages]>[From local...]
• Point to the manually downloaded zip file, then accept the license and install it.

Otherwise, I will report the suggestion to remove the login feature to the development team for further investigation.

Thanks,

Rim.

Yes, this is not a good way to go. Remove login please!

Hi Rim,

Thanks a lot for your message and thanks for providing a feedback to the development team. I appreciate this.

Seems like I'm not the only one desiring to have the login removed - or at least being optional.

I quickly tested with CubeMX 6-10-0. In earlier version, it was possible to download the packages and updates without login, and without manual installation. This was easy to use. Hope it will be this way again in future..

Best Regards,

Led

Hi Rim,

I have the same login issue. Our corporate network in blocking the myST login. 

At this time I just want to configure a WatchDog in the .ioc file. Does Cube really need to login to myST to do that ??

If so what manual package do I download to be able to configure a WatchDog.?

I'm using the STM32L432KBUX chip.

/Per

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> what manual package do I download to be able to configure a WatchDog.?

This: https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubel4.html

Does Cube really need to login to myST to do that ??

Yes if you click the red button "Get latest" 1.18.0 (or "Select version") you will need to log in to download. You can do this on a different computer (even on a phone) and bring the zip file to your work computer.

No, if you choose the blue pill button "Get from Github".

Thx,

Now I have the MCU package downloaded, I configured the WWDG in the .ioc file and selected 'Generate Code'

The main.c does not get updated and there are 'wwdg' related files in the STM32L4xx_HAL_Driver folder.

There are some misc file in the main folder that look odd.

pvk_0-1704754003663.png

I'll try to create a new project and configure a WWDG.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

It drops .ftl files in the main folder?? Very strange. Something is broken.

I have the files under source control (Perforce/Helix, yes old school). Once I checked out stm32l4xx_hal_conf.h the 'Generate Code' seems to generate the appropriate updates. 
Should have better error checking/notification to not get into this state.