cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release build won't run

PGump.1
Senior

Hi all,

I have a simple project using a STM32C011J4. Using STM32CubeIDE V1.15. I compile it for both Debug & Release.

I program it via STM32Programmer V2.10.

The Debug elf file works okay, however, the Release elf does NOT run…

Yes! I have checked that the Debug & Release files are up to date (and time)...

Yes! The NRST pin is correct level…

What else should I check?

Kind regards
Pedro

AI = Artificial Intelligence, NI = No Intelligence, RI = Real Intelligence.
29 REPLIES 29

@Andrew Neil wrote:

Note that 'volatile' has nothing to do with atomic access.

'volatile' just prevents the compiler from optimising-out accesses - it does nothing to control whether those accesses are atomic.

I had not made any connection between volatile and atomic. The connection was about synchronous functions, and your comment about a "race condition".

Kind regards
Pedro

@PGump.1 wrote:

I had not made any connection between volatile and atomic.

OK - was in reply to:

@PGump.1 wrote:

If a compiler makes a boolean anything other than an atomic variable,

Sorry if I misinterpreted that.

Go back to start. Your debug and release problems. I never on ARM use release, because result bin code is equal to debug when options is same. And i always debug with opti parameter set as for end app. Yes some debug parts then is harder , but code tested is same as code released. And i pref -O3 .

And about volatile, better is use __IO yes is alias, but mark variables updated in IRQs or shared threads...

When your issue isnt solved show code...

PGump.1
Senior

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that 'volatile' has fixed it! @Andrew Neil  thank you for planting that seed.

@MM..1  using Debug as Release is a waste of resources, particularly in parts with very limited resources.

Anyway, if I hadn't been so lazy, I would have coded it up in assembler, and saved myself a week... 😂

Kind regards
Pedro

@PGump.1 wrote:

@MM..1  using Debug as Release is a waste of resources,

I think you missed that @MM..1 suggested using the same optimisation level - whether for "debgug" or "release"?

@MM..1 wrote:

Your debug and release problems. I never on ARM use release, ...

Even if you do have the same compiler settings for both "debug" and "release", I still see value in having the two configurations; eg,

• Debug might add diagnostic outputs;
  • Release might disable the SWD interface altogether (eg, for low-power and/or security)
  • etc, ...

Yes and no. For designs with nano second precisions any different timing code is contra productive.

And i write only for user without knowledge, that switch same code from debug to release is waste of power and space on PC. For equal setup hex files equal for both.

Well, yes - you obviously wouldn't be putting debug traces into places in the code where nanosecond precision was required!

PGump.1
Senior

Hi all,

My original code had the declaration of my boolean variable in main.c as :-

bool x = false;

and in stm32c0xx_it.c as

extern bool x;

Swapping the declarations around is another solution.

This is because c compilers don't retain/share meta-data on variables between individual c files. In my case, x doesn't get written to in main(), the compiler wouldn't know that the declaration of x is going to be exported so, it is quite understandable that it is assumed to be non-volatile in main.c.

Swapping the declarations around stops the compiler from making that incorrect assumption...

The moral of this story is - this was a very simple project that I took far too simplistic approach too...

I hope this helps someone.

Kind regards
Pedro

@PGump.1 wrote:

My original code had the declaration of my boolean variable in main.c as :-

bool x = false;

That's the definition.

@PGump.1 wrote:

and in stm32c0xx_it.c as

extern bool x;

That's a declaration.

They need to be both qualified as 'volatile'.

Also, rather than manually transcribing the declaration into each source file that needs it, it would be better to have it in a header file; eg, in main.h:

extern volatile bool x;

Then both main.c and any/all other .c files which need it can #include "main.h"

Apart from the saving of duplication, this has the advantage that, when compiling main.c, the compiler will see both the declaration and the definition - thus will be able to detect any discrepancy.

See:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/adding-new-c-source-files-to-my-project-and-navigating-through/m-p/657455/highlight/true#M25847

And:

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/adding-new-c-source-files-to-my-project-and-navigating-through/m-p/658310/highlight/true#M25925