cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping to random file after pressing Run button

GeneralTao
Associate II

Hello. When I press to Run (Run main.c) button, STM32CubeIDE opens random file, possibly, from current repository, for example: startup_stm32l452xx.s, core_cm4.h etc...

Code is loading successful, but this side effect bothers me.

I would like to disable this function. How can I do it?

If you need more information about this behavior please, ask.

Thank you for reading.

95 REPLIES 95

Sorry, I actually mean my second monitor.

PHolt.1
Senior II

Ah, you Detach the file and drag it on the 2nd monitor, and then what do you do with it? Do you leave it open there, or Close it?

The issue with spurious files opening when one does a Debug build (the F11 option) is not so much that these files are getting opened. It is that the focus (the window to which keystrokes get directed) shifts to some random file. And if this is not detected (you can set Cube to automatically save modified files -not a good idea!) you get all sorts of problems. I've had to restore a file from a backup a few times, but I was lucky that the keystroke produced a compilation error. Sometimes a line gets deleted...

It is so arrogant of ST to push out a product like this and not fix it.

eos1d3
Associate II

For me, this problem is not related to second monitor as I use only one. And the easiest method to stop this problem is to exit the IDE and run again. It will occur if you run debug mode.

YKILI.1
Associate

Dear ST Official Guys, if you do not mind,

Will you solve this opening random files issue whenever it runs???

tarzan2
Associate II

I have exactly the same problem in run and debug mode since the beginning of cube IDE (all versions) and also with previous IDE (sys workbench). Using 4 different computers (debian, win10, win7). For all projects.

Generally the file opened is the startup.s file but sometime it's a random HAL file.

This is absolutely boring and it hard to believe that ST cannot reproduce the behavior.

PHolt.1
Senior II

Of course they know about it but they aren't interested.

One can almost understand Cube opening the file which runs when the code is started (startup-something.s). Pointless and dangerous due to potential keystrokes absorbed but maybe not surprising. After that it has an optional feature to breakpoint on main(), but the checkbox for making that optional seems to have disappeared (I can't find it in v9 onwards).

The random other .c file opened is just totally dumb. And dangerous.

HSung.1
Associate

Same issue on v.1.11.2 started after first debug.

This still continued for new projects and even after IDE program remove and reinstall.

kshoy.1
Associate II

I observe the same or similar behavior, in the meanwhile the current version is 1.11.2. The described behavior occurs after running Debug.

Initially, the IDE opens the startup_***.s file if you press the RUN button in the same session as you ran a Debug.

For some time the normal behavior can be restored if you restart the STM32CubeIDE.

After a while, restarting the IDE does not restore the normal behavior any longer. I also observe then, that (assumedly but not verified, if the startup_***.s is already opened), an apparently random window may be opened and get focus after pressing the RUN button, even if no Debug has been run after restarting CubeIDE.

At the moment a related ticket 00173614 is open. If it gets fixed this time?

HØdeg.1
Associate

I experience exactly the same thing. Cursor jumping to a random .c file. Happens in both running AND debugging mode (after running the project, then stopping it in debugging mode). Incredibly annoying!

Running version 1.11.2 on MacOS

Piranha
Chief II

Three years of ignorance... Maybe it's time for you guys to move to some actually usable IDE? 😉

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000U7PcHSAV/keil-vs-stm-ide