cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FATFS f_opendir function does not work after updating to CubeIDE 1.7.

DAbi .1
Associate

I have a working firmware that reads from a SD card on a STM32L476RG using CubeIDE 1.6.1.

In the past I have downloaded CubeIDE updates and after migrating the project to the new version the firmware still works fine, until I updated cubeIDE from version 1.6.1 to version 1.7. After migrating the project to cubeIDE 1.7 the function f_opendir returns a error number 1 (other FATFS functions like reading or writing to a file or creating a directory works fine). In addition, the MCU hangs up when trying to read the MCU temperature and an additional Analog input that I programmed for reading voltage. Fortunately I did a backup of the working folder so I can go back to the previous version, but I was wondering if this is a bug or if there is something else I'm missing. I compared the main.c builds between two versions and I see only differences in some of the clock configurations (not related to the SD Card) but the rest looks the same. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Hello @DAbi .1​ ,

This issue has been internally raised. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your contribution.

BeST Regards,

Walid

Internal ticket number: 114180 (PS: This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers)

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi,

Were you able to resolve the issue?

The symptoms you describe sounds quite random. My first thought is whether there could be an issue related to thread-safety / re-entrance.

If you have a multi-threaded application, and different threads makes to C library functions like malloc, printf, strtok, ... Then you have to make sure that these C library functions calls are safe to make. malloc as an example contains a critical section. If an IRQ were to fire while you execute malloc AND the ISR also makes a call to malloc, there is a chance that both malloc calls will point to the same memory address. This will likely lead to memory corruption sooner or later --> random crashes...

• Is this a bare-metal application or do you use an RTOS?
    • If bare-metal applications, are you making any calls from ISR context to C library functions?
    • If RTOS-application, are you making any calls to C library functions from (thread or ISR context?

There is a thread-safe solution provided with CubeIDE/MX which will lock a subset of the C library functions and thereby protect your application against this type of issues. Re-entrant related issues are however still a headache that you need to be careful with. For example parallel calls to strtok and management of reent structs.

The thread-safe solution is described in CubeIDE User Guide. In case of CubeIDE 1.7.0, look at chapter 2.7: Thread-safe wizard for empty projects and CDT™ projects

DAbi .1
Associate

Thank you for your detailed answer. Indeed the problem might be related to what yo mentioned. I was able to solve the issue with the ADC read by following the ADC example in the repository which uses low level methods mixed with HAL methods. I yet haven't tried solving the f_opendir issue since I'm still using the CubeIDE 1.6.1 version. My application does not use RTOS and I do use strok. Unless you close the tread, I'll provide a follow up answer if a find the problem causing the f_opendir issue.

Thanks - could be interesting for other community members. Keep us updated!

Some further pointers, that may help you troubleshoot and feel more confident about the issue:

• If the problem is related to malloc or similar C library function which contains a critical section, but does not require multiple sets of global data, then the thread-safe solution should help.
    • In your case, since you are not relying on and RTOS, assuming your hardware allow this, I would try "strategy#3" (in the thread-safe solution). This means that a malloc() or similar C library function call from ISR context will get trapped in the Error_Handler() when malloc() tries to acquire a lock. Careful though, consider any H/W implications by halting execution in ISR...!
  • If the problem is related to strtok() or any other C library function which has reentrant version and which may manage multiple sets of global data. Then the thread-safe solution will not help you. Instead scan your project calls to the non-reentrant version of such function and make sure you manage reent structs properly. Use strtok_r() instead whenever applicable and manage the _impure_ptr.

Have a look here as a source of inspiration: https://sourceware.org/newlib/libc.html#Reentrancy