cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanation field to CubeIDE

Mikk Leini
Senior

Feature request to STM32 CubeIDE.
ST, please add a possibility to add user explanation text to peripheral configurations. It is neccessary because the configuration, especially numbers, are not always self-explaning. A text field where to write explanation, requirements, calculations, warnings, etc. would be very helpful. If possible, the same explanation could end up in generated C code. Simple text effects like bold and italic can be used and generated into code with Doxygen markup.

Mock-up example of IWDG:

MikkLeini_0-1690122823653.png

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

A good idea. But some components have many parameters and several sub-components. Do you want to associate these "explanations" with initialization function generated by Cube (to generate a comment in main.c or per-component .c file) or with each dialog in Cube settings, just to be displayed ?

To explain calculation of timer reload values etc., would be useful to add substitution of macros, ex.  ${SystemCoreClock}, ${ComponentClock}, ${HSE_Value}, ${APB1_Clock} ... from the clocks tab. 

Nikita91
Lead II

Good idea!

I would like to get the comments in the C file. In some cases after the 1st MX generation, no need of MX anymore.

I guess comments in main.c at peripheral initialization function headers (MX_xxx_Init) are fine. 

Syn_BE
Associate III

Hi there,

I had a similar feature request:
https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcu/cubemx-add-comment-remark-note-comments-remarks-notes/m-p/577569

For me, the following idea would be sufficient:

- having the possibility to add a note / comment / remark for each peripheral

- like in the following screenshot:

Syn_BE_2-1690472212956.png

- the "note" icon maybe visible, if there is a note for the peripheral. (otherwise there might be no "note" icon)

- as mentioned before by the others, it would be a really good idea to find the contents of the NOTE in a generated C file

- the possibility of adding a comment in each "Setting" tab seems a bit too complex and/or hidden, to me. (but this is just my first impression)