cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute noob: how to determine the pin that the LED is on in the IDE?

rileyrg
Associate II

I'm using a Nucleo -64 stm32f030r8 board.

I've looked at various "blinky" tutorials and they all seem to just pick a a pin out of the air as the LED pin and then flash it through HAL_Toggle_Pin. I have the datasheet for the device but I seem to be blind, stupid and/or a combination of the two.

Can some kind soul step me through the "process" you use to determine which pin ld2 (the green led) is on? I created an stm32 project from the IDE wizard selecting the correct board but no pin is assigned as default as the LED. I can compile, upload and debug etc, it's just me not being able to figure out the LED assignment. Something very obvious I'm sure!

(as a side note, the IDE runs really poorly on my Debian testing desktop and frequently crashes but I can cope with that for now).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rileyrg
Associate II

And 3s after I post, at my wits end, I discover the answer. I had created a project for the MCU not the board. Selecting from the board selection dialog sorted this out! So, minus several million points for me....

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rileyrg
Associate II

And 3s after I post, at my wits end, I discover the answer. I had created a project for the MCU not the board. Selecting from the board selection dialog sorted this out! So, minus several million points for me....

TDK
Guru

The user manual for the board will also contain this information.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
kkeian
Associate

To expand on TDK's answer:

In the User Manual there is a section usually titled "Hardware layout and configuration" and if your board has built-in LED's there is a subsection titled "LEDs".

I have 2+ boards with built-in LEDs and both user manuals had this convention but your mileage may vary.

In the "LEDs" subsection there will be information which includes the LED numbers, usually in form LD#. Beside the LED number will be a signal number possibly (which you should note down) and a pin number, such as PB4. The pin number requires some decoding; for a pin number PB4, the pin number is 4 on GPIO B.

If the user manual is for multiple board models, as it is for the Nucleo-64 boards, there may be a table of pin, signal, and function correspondences. The signal number you noted should help verify that the pin number corresponds to the correct signal for targeting the LED.