cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing 40 pin header from the STM32MPU M4 side

darla14
Senior

Hello,

I am looking for the right documentation for creating a custom poject using stm32mpu M4 cortex but using the peripheral connected to 40 pin header and not the Arduino connector.

please let me know and also the limitation if any if i connect an i2c sensor to the 40 pin header instead of i2c on the Arduino connectors. i think they are not inter-connected (40 pin to Arduino connector), please correct me !

Br,

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @darla14​ ,

you could port any existing application from STM32 MCUs to Cortex-M4 of STM32MP1.

Anyway, as listed in the application note, porting need obviously to rethink some SW architecture (as you have to deal with Linux which is probably handling some part of your previous MCUs project).

Note that in STM32MP15, the Cortex-M4 memory available for your Code+Data is limited to 448kB (SRAM1/2/4/5+RETRAM). This is an hard constrain to be looked at before porting your application to Cortex-M4 as coprocessor.

Note that usually, some large drivers such are USB, ETHernet, GUI, FileSystem are not required anymore on Cortex-M4 as handled by Linux.

ROM code belong to Cortex-A7 and is not available to user (used during Boot phase only)

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @darla14​ ,

I presume you are talking about GPIO extension connector on DK2 boards right ?

Please refer to STM32MP157x-DKx - hardware description - stm32mpu in order to get GPIO mapping on this connector.

I2C1 is available on this connector instead of I2C5 for Arduino.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
darla14
Senior

Hello @Community member​ ,

yes i is 40 pin header. Thanks for the documentation !

as per this : https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00560967-migrating-from-stm32f469-479-line-to-stm32mp151-stm32mp153-and-stm32mp157-lines-stmicroelectronics.pdf

i want to ask is only STM32F469/479 porting is possible on STM3MPU M4? What are the limitations if we try to port say L476RG or F401RE Application or workspace on CM4?

Also on STM32MP157 there is 384 Kbytes of RAM and 128 Kbytes of ROM (boot) , is the ROM usable for the user/application code if we ar porting from F4 or L4 ?

please advise.

best,

D

sorry, i should have posted it in the reply to your last comment! please move it appropriately.

Hello,

So any peripheral connected on I2C5 here(PA12, PA11) will not be accessible via cortex M4?Why?

please explain!

Regards,

D

Hi @darla14​ ,

you could port any existing application from STM32 MCUs to Cortex-M4 of STM32MP1.

Anyway, as listed in the application note, porting need obviously to rethink some SW architecture (as you have to deal with Linux which is probably handling some part of your previous MCUs project).

Note that in STM32MP15, the Cortex-M4 memory available for your Code+Data is limited to 448kB (SRAM1/2/4/5+RETRAM). This is an hard constrain to be looked at before porting your application to Cortex-M4 as coprocessor.

Note that usually, some large drivers such are USB, ETHernet, GUI, FileSystem are not required anymore on Cortex-M4 as handled by Linux.

ROM code belong to Cortex-A7 and is not available to user (used during Boot phase only)

Regards.