cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H747 DISCO Development Board Communication between DSP and PC

shanzehq
Associate II
I am working on a pathological voice assessor device, using the STM32H747-DISCO development board. I’m a new user and need some help with configuring and sending data from the DSP to PC - there is also a separate connection for debugging from my Macbook which is plugged in to the ST-LinK Debugger port. I had attempted using the USB OTG communication protocol but was met with some driver issues. 

I was told by a peer to use the FT232 board, breakout the RX and TX pins, connect them to the board and then plug into the PC to read the pins. From my understanding this is using the UART protocol. So I in the IOC file I would turn on the UART setting, then generate the code and connect the FT232 board to the RX and TX pins and plug the board to the PC.

Any knowledge of exactly what to do would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank You 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@shanzehq wrote:
I was told by a peer to use the FT232 board, breakout the RX and TX pins, connect them to the board and then plug into the PC to read the pins.

So can your peer not help you with doing that?

@shanzehq wrote:
From my understanding this is using the UART protocol. So I in the IOC file I would turn on the UART setting, then generate the code and connect the FT232 board to the RX and TX pins and plug the board to the PC.

Yes "FT232" is a USB-to-UART bridge chip: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/DS_FT232R.pdf

There should be plenty of examples of using the UART.

Perhaps you should start by using the UART that's connected to the ST-Link, get that going, and understand it.

Once you've done that, you'd just need to change the pinning options to something you can connect to your "FT232 board"...

It was just someone in passing that I spoke to.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by just using the UART that connected to the ST-LINK. Would that be different from just configuring UART to be on?

AndrewNeil_0-1711381107458.png

CN2 is also the debugger port which will be connected to my Mac, it wouldn’t be able to have two simultaneous connections hence I had tried using the USB OTG port initially which was connected to the PC.

No need to have two connections.

ST-LINK can handle the debug and the virtual comport at the same time.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@SofLit wrote:

No need to have two connections.

ST-LINK can handle the debug and the virtual comport at the same time.

Indeed - and the Mass Storage!

AndrewNeil_0-1711382658673.png