cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F030 PC13,14,15 current sink limits?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

AndrewNeil_0-1725556635883.png

Is it OK to use these pins as current sinks for driving LEDs ?

AndrewNeil_1-1725557015423.png

6 REPLIES 6
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @Andrew Neil 

As it is mentionned on the 3rd line of the note on the screenshot:

"These GPIOs must not be used as current sources (e.g. to drive an LED)." For Curent sink, i will check this and get back to you ASAP.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Good question, the P/N gates probably the same size, but the ground ring is probably more robust, and not gated like VDD/VBAT path

I'd tend toward it being Ok, but will watch for the official response.

Slack pins for LEDs, the PA13/PA14 often can be used and still facilitate debug connectivity if the code is aware.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

plus the reason stated for the limitation is that these pins are fed  "through the power switch", and that's what limits their sourcing capabilities.

I presume this is "the power switch":

AndrewNeil_0-1725559013974.png

On that basis, if it's the whole story, sinking should be OK ... ?

"the switch only sinks (sic?) a limited amount of current" sounds like a typo, though?

>>plus the reason stated for the limitation is that these pins are fed "through the power switch", and that's what limits their sourcing capabilities.

What's gating it, or how robust the wiring/metalization is feeding it across the die.

That was definitely my "hot-take" on the documentations wording, and that the return-path on the common VSS side was significantly more substantial, and not switched/gated.

The geometry of the IOCELL's transistor might also be smaller/slower, I vaguely recall a +/- 3mA specification in some STM32 family docs.

Sinking some mA ( < 3 mA ) should be ok...is done on all these blue-pill boards, so if thats a problem, you could see thousands of "my blue-pill died..." messages ; 🙂

AScha3_0-1725568104525.png

But for a 100% reliable design, i would use these pins only as inputs - if possible.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Yes the design that sank a thousand ships..