cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 COM PORT DRIVER

ferraro
Associate
Hello everyone,
I'm really in crisis. I have a STM32F303VC discovery microcontroller and I'm developing a program to make it communicate with LABVIEW through USART.
LABVIEW can communicate only through the COM ports of the PC.

The problem is that when I go to connect my board to the pc, it is read as a USB device and not as 'STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM port'.
How can I fix? I'm trying in every way, installing drivers etc but the problem persists.

p.s. I have windows 10 and I can debug the program
6 REPLIES 6
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @ferraro,

You may need to update the STLink firmware.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Pavel A.
Evangelist III
Piranha
Chief II

The "discovery microcontroller" and the ridiculous text formatting says it all...

What you mean is a virtual COM port by USB CDC, which is not USART. And it doesn't show up as ST device, because it is your device, which you are developing.

The F3-DISCO has TWO USB connectors, one to the ST-LINK, and one to the F3 itself.

For the F3 you'd need to load a USB CDC firmware into the device, you can change the VID, PID and Descriptors that returns, if need be. You'd need something for which you have a matching USB Driver, or that can use USBSER.SYS.

Most would use the USB CDC and USART connectivity afforded by the ST-LINK/V2-1

Edit your post so as not to use the code pasting tool.. makes it hard to read

"Hello everyone,
I'm really in crisis. I have a STM32F303VC discovery microcontroller and I'm developing a program to make it communicate with LABVIEW through USART.
LABVIEW can communicate only through the COM ports of the PC.

The problem is that when I go to connect my board to the pc, it is read as a USB device and not as 'STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM port'.
How can I fix? I'm trying in every way, installing drivers etc but the problem persists.

p.s. I have windows 10 and I can debug the program"

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

And it doesn't show up as ST device, because it is your device, which you are developing.

ST allows to reuse their vendor & device IDs for the VCP example (or do they?)  - otherwise  users would have to pay for their own IDs. And there's no much sense in inventing a creative custom name because Windows 10+ won't show it anyway. The  name displayed by Windows 10+ inbox CDC driver is not based on the firmware string descriptors...

Windows 10+ shows it as a "USB Serial Device (COM3)". So probably the real issue here is that the guy just doesn't have a proper USB CDC device or USB stack on MCU at all.