cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDXC 2TB support available for STM32?

afok-esmart
Associate III

I am working on a project for my company that would like to use an STM32 processor that can both connect to a camera for capturing video data, and also connect to a 2TB SD card (SDXC) for storing said video data. We're aiming for the videos to be at least 1080p and 15fps. Ideally, we're also looking for being able to connect a microphone to add audio to the video files.

The older version of our product used the STM32L452CEU6. It does not have SDMMC support (because it's the 48-pin version) but we were able to connect an adapter to a SPI peripheral and read/write to a 32GB SD card (SDHC). I've been put on hold for now with testing the adapter with the SDXC card, but in the meantime I wanted to ask if it would generally be possible on this STM32L452CEU6, if there are any differences to account for when using SDXC instead of SDHC, etc.

We were also looking into changing the processor to STM32U599/5A9 instead (of which all versions do support SDMMC). I think it should still be able to support use of a camera/microphone with no issues. But along the similar line, would it be possible to use the STM32U599/5A9 to read/write to the SD card if it's SDXC and 2TB large?

--------

EDIT1: For the question about the STM32L452CEU6, I wanted to clarify that I'm asking about whether it's possible with the SPI adapter setup I'm using. For the STM32U599/5A9 though, I know that has SDMMC; so for that question, I'm asking about its feasibility with SDMMC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @afok-esmart 

@afok-esmart wrote:

I wanted to ask if it would generally be possible on this STM32L452CEU6, if there are any differences to account for when using SDXC instead of SDHC, etc.

SDXC concept is based on an increased Card Capacity over 32GB up to 2TB. There is no restrictions or limit on addressable area in the STM32 SDMMC2 controller. The addressable Card area is handled in the SDMMC software driver. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AScha.3
Chief II

SDXC is sd-card > 32 GB , thats no problem to access. (I already use 64GB cards. )

Just look, to have ex-FAT enabled, because big cards use this format. (up to 512 TB )

And look, if there is a limit or known  problem for the fat-driver, you want to use (fatfs or fileX ).

Mr. Chan , for : fatfs , states: 

• Supports volume size of over 2 TB (virtually unlimited).
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The SDIO/SDMMC peripheral should be fine. The 2TB comes from the 32-bit word describing the block/sector number. SDHC and SDXC work, how fast and exotic the mode will depend on the complexity of the driver.

The practicality of it and a file system without caching is another thing.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @afok-esmart 

@afok-esmart wrote:

I wanted to ask if it would generally be possible on this STM32L452CEU6, if there are any differences to account for when using SDXC instead of SDHC, etc.

SDXC concept is based on an increased Card Capacity over 32GB up to 2TB. There is no restrictions or limit on addressable area in the STM32 SDMMC2 controller. The addressable Card area is handled in the SDMMC software driver. 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @FBL. I see. But that's in the case of using SDMMC; my STM32L452CEU6 doesn't have SDMMC and we're using an adapter instead. My original question was about whether it's possible with the SPI adapter setup I have going on, not with the SDMMC (sorry for not clarifying).

Hello @afok-esmart 

In SPI mode, it would not be possible. Check this post Solved: SPI mode and UHS-II mode not supported for STM32U5... - STMicroelectronics Community