cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to connect to STM32U5 Device from STlink debugger after programming Readout Protection level to 1

harisuvarna
Associate II

Hi ,

While exploring flashloader macro using IAR IDE to update Option bytes , I programmed FLASH_OPTR register with Readout Protection level 1.

harisuvarna_0-1719611337283.png

Since then  I am not able to communicate to device using STLink and following is the error

harisuvarna_2-1719611504537.png

Is there anyway I can establish communication with device using debugger to rewrite the readout protection level bit to level 0. Please share your thoughts.

Regards,

Hareesha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
harisuvarna
Associate II

Hi All,

I am using customized Hardware for my development. I am able to establish communication with my device using debugger. Followed following steps-based info provided above by forum folks.

1. Pulled PH3-BOOT0 pin high to boot from bootloader  

harisuvarna_0-1719854837366.png

2.  Connected to my target board using UART interface as follows

harisuvarna_1-1719854905617.png

3. Followed steps mentioned in forum to disable Security Zone (TZONE)

Security:How to disable TrustZone in STM32L5xx devices during development phase - stm32mcu

Thank you all for your support.

Regards,

Hareesha

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BarryWhit
Senior III

From AN4758:

RDP.jpg

The appnote talks about L4+, but the same principle applies across families.

If you can connect to your board with STM32CubeProgrammer, it has a dedicated screen for modifying options bytes. Reset the RDP option byte to level 0, wait for the chip to fully erase, and you should be ok.

If you can't connect over ST-Link,  all may not be lost. All STM32 chips by default have a built-in bootloader  (See AN2606 for details). You can try to activate this built-in STM32 bootloader. STM32CubeProgrammer can then connect to the board over USB or UART, and modify the Option Byte over that connection.

Untested Instructions (for connecting via bootloader):

1. Download and install STM32CubeProgrammer.

2. Connect a USB cable to your board.

3. Get into bootloader mode. If you have such buttons (most eval boards do), you do this by holding nRST+BOOT0 buttons, and then releasing the nRST button, wait a moment, then release the BOOT0 button. You should now be in bootloader mode, and the board should show up on your system as a USB-DFU device.

4. Open STM32CubeProgrammer. Connect to the board by seting the connection type to "USB" and clicking connect.

5. Once connected, go to the "OB" pane (The "Option Bytes" pane), and reset the RDP option byte to level 0.

Wait until the process completes.

6. Your board should now be functional again.

OB.jpg

Good luck.

Update:

for good measure, read this official ST thread

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.
MM..1
Chief II

v2.10 is little old for U5

v2.10 is little old for U5

but is supported. 

img.jpg

- If a post has answered your question, please acknowledge the help you received by clicking "Accept as Solution".
- Once you've solved your issue, please consider posting a summary of any additional details you've learned. Your new knowledge may help others in the future.
harisuvarna
Associate II

Hi All,

I am using customized Hardware for my development. I am able to establish communication with my device using debugger. Followed following steps-based info provided above by forum folks.

1. Pulled PH3-BOOT0 pin high to boot from bootloader  

harisuvarna_0-1719854837366.png

2.  Connected to my target board using UART interface as follows

harisuvarna_1-1719854905617.png

3. Followed steps mentioned in forum to disable Security Zone (TZONE)

Security:How to disable TrustZone in STM32L5xx devices during development phase - stm32mcu

Thank you all for your support.

Regards,

Hareesha

BarryWhit
Senior III

Well, I'm glad someone got accepted as solution.

Also helpful that you waited to mention you've previously enabled TrustZone (It's disabled by default) until your final post. Good work.👍