cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interrupt Time Base Generation in interrupt mode fails

DOrtf
Associate II

Hi all,

im trying to bring a timer interrupt to work. In the first step I want to create an LED blinky.

For that I followed the instructions from the Knowledge base example (How to generate a one second interrupt using an STM32 Timer). The only difference is that I use TIM17 instead of TIM3 (I also tried to use TIM3 at first, but with the same problem).

I also checked and debugged the generated Code to initialize the Timer. All functions mentioned in the description from stm32g4xx_hal_tim.c are implemented and called, when MX_TIM17_Init is called from main. The call hierarchy is MX_TIM17_Init --> HAL_TIM_Base_Init(&htim17) --> HAL_TIM_Base_MspInit(htim). The HAL_TIM_Base_MspInit() function resides in stm32g4xx_hal_msp.c and calls the functions to enable the peripheral:

void HAL_TIM_Base_MspInit(TIM_HandleTypeDef* htim_base)
{
  if(htim_base->Instance==TIM17)
  {
  /* USER CODE BEGIN TIM17_MspInit 0 */

/* USER CODE END TIM17_MspInit 0 */
    /* Peripheral clock enable */
    __HAL_RCC_TIM17_CLK_ENABLE();
    /* TIM17 interrupt Init */
    HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(TIM1_TRG_COM_TIM17_IRQn, 0, 0);
    HAL_NVIC_EnableIRQ(TIM1_TRG_COM_TIM17_IRQn);
  /* USER CODE BEGIN TIM17_MspInit 1 */

/* USER CODE END TIM17_MspInit 1 */
  }

}

After that HAL_TIM_Base_Start_IT(&htim17) is called:

MX_TIM17_Init();

HAL_TIM_Base_Start_IT(&htim17);

When I step over this call with the Debugger the program is lost at address 0x1fff5064:

0693W00000aIfBeQAK.pngInteresting fact is that I can step through the HAL_TIM_Base_Start_IT function and can return with HAL_OK, but then it gets lost after that in the following while loop at the same address.

I also added an interrupt callback, but it is obviously never called. Also the TIM17_IRQHandler in stm32g4xx_it.c is never called.

void HAL_TIM_PeriodElapsedCallback(TIM_HandleTypeDef *htim) {
  //Check which timer triggered this callback
  if (htim == &htim17) {  //The interrupt comes from the timer with one second period
    HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(GPIOD, CPU_LED1_BLUE_O_Pin);  //Toggle the CPU LED BLUE
  }
}

Am I using the Timer correctly? Is there anything missing for a correct initialization?

Is there a maybe a mistake in the MX configuration?

STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.11.2 Build: 14494_20230119_0724 (UTC) is used.

STM32G473VEH6 is the used device.

Debugger: ST-LINK/V2

Any Help or Hints is appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> when I step over this call with the Debugger the program is lost at address 0x1fff5064:

That's the system memory i.e. the built-in bootloader. It appears that there may be several scenarios how this happens.

Try power-cycle the board. If this does not help, check option bytes and if set, try clearing BFB2.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000029TVRmSAO/for-stm32g4xx-please-clarify-role-of-bfb2-in-option-bytes

If you need to have BFB2 set, set VTOR to 0x0800'00000, or change the 0x0000'0000 mapping to FLASH.

JW

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

> when I step over this call with the Debugger the program is lost at address 0x1fff5064:

That's the system memory i.e. the built-in bootloader. It appears that there may be several scenarios how this happens.

Try power-cycle the board. If this does not help, check option bytes and if set, try clearing BFB2.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000029TVRmSAO/for-stm32g4xx-please-clarify-role-of-bfb2-in-option-bytes

If you need to have BFB2 set, set VTOR to 0x0800'00000, or change the 0x0000'0000 mapping to FLASH.

JW

Thanks a lot for your reply and for the mentioned post!

I will geht through this and keep you informed about the success! 😊

Hello Jan,

i went through the mentioned post and implemented your advice.

When I set the VTOR Register to 0x0800 0000 as you mentioned, the timer interrupt works!

Many thanks for your advice!

Daniel

There is also an other way, how this problem can be solved.

To relocate the vector table the line /* #define USER_VECT_TAB_ADDRESS */ in system_stm32g4xx.c can be uncommented.