cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does VREFBUF HIZ bit get set via CUBEIDE?

KHarb.1
Senior

I have a project where VREFBUF outputs 2.0xxV correctly without intervention. I created a new project and I see VREFBUF output stuck at 0V, and I'm not sure what's causing the changed behavior.  I inspected the VREFBUF_CSR register and I see ENVR=1 and HIZ=1. When I set HIZ=0 via StLink, I see the VREFBUF output pop to the correct value. I don’t see CubeIDE options to set this explicitly, but it appears there is some setting that manipulates this value. What should I look at?

I tried adding both of the below lines to set the HIZ bit in user code, but it didn’t appear to change the HIZ bit when I checked via StLink. What could I be doing wrong?

VREFBUF->CSR&=0b11101;

HAL_SYSCFG_VREFBUF_HighImpedanceConfig(SYSCFG_VREFBUF_HIGH_IMPEDANCE_DISABLE);

I'm also seeing DAC output drop to zero when the HIZ bit is set. Is this normal or a potential clue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I see that line in my code, so I know that's fine. Further research linked this issue to a raft of strange behaviors I've documented in the post below.  It seems the HIZ and ENVR bits are being changed by a potential fault mode that I don't understand yet.

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/can-electrical-issues-with-st-link-pcb-force-vrefbuf-envr-and/td-p/685015

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Melc_dB
ST Employee

Hello @KHarb.1,

First, make the difference between Vref+ and VREFBUF: see this page for better explanation

• VREF+ is the pin on the package linked to VREF 
  • VREFBUF is the internal reference that can provide reference voltage to VREF+

So when you talk about "VREFBUF outputs" I assume that you means VREF+.

"HIZ" bit defines if VREF+ output is high impedance or low impedance. 

vrefbuf_modes.PNG

If you want to output VREFBUF voltage to provide reference externally you must set HIZ = 0 and ENVR = 1.

Hope that answers your questions,

Best regards,

Melchior 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Yes, I'm aware of all that. I'm concerned with differing behavior and the need for the manual step of setting HIZ =0. I have a previous project and config code that works just fine without that step. I'm trying to isolate what in HAL\CUBE code is setting HIZ=1.  There are no explicit settings for it that I can see in CUBE, so I'm left to guess what peripheral initiation is causing the setting to change.

all right, I misunderstood your question,

From my side I managed to change HIZ bit by changing the configuration of VREFBUF in CUBEMX. The HIZ bit value matches the configuration name on the table I sent earlier.

In the code itself the bit is set in the file stm32XXxx_hal_msp.c : (example VREFBUF in hold mode)

void HAL_MspInit(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN MspInit 0 */

/* USER CODE END MspInit 0 */

/* System interrupt init*/

/** Enable the VREF clock
  */
  __HAL_RCC_VREF_CLK_ENABLE();

/** Enable the Internal Voltage Reference buffer
  */
  HAL_SYSCFG_EnableVREFBUF();

/** Configure the internal voltage reference buffer high impedance mode
  */
  HAL_SYSCFG_VREFBUF_HighImpedanceConfig(SYSCFG_VREFBUF_HIGH_IMPEDANCE_ENABLE);

/* USER CODE BEGIN MspInit 1 */

/* USER CODE END MspInit 1 */
}

Best regards,

Melchior

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I see that line in my code, so I know that's fine. Further research linked this issue to a raft of strange behaviors I've documented in the post below.  It seems the HIZ and ENVR bits are being changed by a potential fault mode that I don't understand yet.

https://community.st.com/t5/stm32-mcus-products/can-electrical-issues-with-st-link-pcb-force-vrefbuf-envr-and/td-p/685015