cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External crystal not oscillating

MDeva.1
Associate II

Hello,

I have custom board. I am working on STM32H7 controller. We use the external crystal of 25Mhz. But when we use that external oscillator using the HSE ,it doesn't provide the clock to controller. Why these happening. Can you please help me

10 REPLIES 10
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @MDeva.1​ 

Is STLink disconnected/connected?

I advise you to check the board schematics and User manual.

Have a look also at this AN2867 Application note Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S, STM32 MCUs and MPUs.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

I am using the STM32CUBEProgrammer for programming. The STLINK is connected to Board and PC.

itsrabbit
Associate II

Hello @MDeva.1​ ,

Where do you use your external clock? For example, you choose your clock as HSE in clock configuration, but as Internal Clock in where you need it (TIM clock source etc.) right?

Are you sure that you run your tasks after Init and clock config functions?

I am sharing the snap of my configuration part in these I enable the USB and GPIO . If any thing is wrong please tell me

0693W00000UoH1aQAF.png0693W00000UoH1uQAF.png0693W00000UoH1VQAV.png

I was trying to ask, what do you use your external clock for? If you are using it for timer interrupt is timer clock source correct?

No i am not using for the timer. HSE I set as system clock.

When I use the HSE clock for system clock, the simple LED blinking programmed not work, but when I try to generate system clock using the HSI the LED blinking programmed is start running. Why these happening.

Javier1
Principal

every time this happened to me the issue was the XTAL capacitors were too high.(wrong values placed by the production team)

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
ONadr.1
Senior III

The crystal could be broken or, more probably, has different parameters, than MCU need. You can try conect a paralel rezistor to crystal, about 1Mohm, or different type of crystall. You should read the AN2867 to know, how to choose a crystal according to its parameter, as ST employee proposed in the first answer.