cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data logging and controlling STM devices via computer

prathmesh
Associate

Hello Everyone,

I'm about to start a new project where I have some products built on STM32.

Now I wanted to connect those devices to the microsoft widows based computer and build a windows software to control the devices and get the stored data from devices (data is stored in SD card in text format).

But I'm not sure about how to start this like which protocol should i use (I considerd RS-485 or LAN), and platform or lanuage to build a computer software.

Please give me suggestion on this if anyone has worked on such projects.

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@prathmesh wrote:

the computer .

What computer?

The interfaces available on "the computer" will be a key constraint in defining what connections are appropriate!

@prathmesh wrote:

data is stored in SD card 

So the simplest way could be to simply remove the SD Card from the STM32, insert it into "the computer", and just read it.

There are many options:

• USB
    • Virtual serial
    • MSC
    • other
  • Serial (RS232, RS485, etc)
  • Ethernet
  • Wireless
  • etc, etc, ...

@prathmesh wrote:

platform or language to build a computer software.

Use whatever language you prefer that's available on "the computer".

Hello Andrew,

There are multiple devices connected on the same computer and i wanted to control and also read the data stored in SD card (every device has an SD card).

@Andrew Neil Use whatever language you prefer that's available on "the computer".

Yes but I'm asking for which platform will be more suitable for this type of application.

@prathmesh wrote:

Yes but I'm asking for which platform will be more suitable for this type of application.

You mean you've not yet decided on what "the computer" is?

That will very much depend on what you need to do with the data once you've retrieved it from all your multiple STM32s.

Right now I wanted to develope Windows based application for this.

So your platform is Windows, then.

Yes

So what is your question here, then?

@prathmesh wrote:

@Andrew Neil Use whatever language you prefer that's available on "the computer".

There can't be very many languages that don't have Windows support ...

Techn
Senior III

Probably Python will be the easiest language to implement this functionality on windows. you can use rs485, I2C or CAN ,  since there are multiple stm32 devices on the bus, otherwise you can use rs232. If you have large amount of data to be read, then eth is better to be used. you have to decide on the protocol like a question and answer to the selected slave. 

Hope this helps

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you Techn.