cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the STM32G4x1 line access external flash memory? Or just the G4x4 line??

TB
Associate III

My question here is this: Can the STM32G4x1 line access external flash memory (e.g., via QuadSPI)?

My confusion is as follows: the following page:

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32g4-series.html

introduces the STM32G4x1, G4x3, and G4x4 lines. In the table (at the center of the page), Quad-SPI (for accessing external flash memory) is listed in the left column as a common feature across all three of these lines.

In addition, the slides at

https://www.stmicroelectronics.com.cn/content/ccc/resource/training/technical/product_training/group0/42/95/f2/b1/78/5c/49/55/STM32G4-Memory-QuadSPI_interface_QUADSPI/files/STM32G4-Memory-QuadSPI_interface_QUADSPI.pdf/_jcr_content/translations/en.STM32G4-Memory-QuadSPI_interface_QUADSPI.pdf

indicate that "The Quad-SPI memory interface integrated inside STM32G4 microcontrollers provides a communication interface, allowing the microcontroller to communicate with external SPI and Quad-SPI memories".

In addition, Ch 19 of the exhaustive RM0440 STM32G4 Reference Manual, which describes QuadSPI, doesn't make specific mention that QuadSPI is disabled on the G4x1 line.

HOWEVER,, in (e.g.) the STM32G474VE features diagram, I see a block labelled External Interface, that mentions both FSMC and QuadSPI, where I don't seem mention of either in the features diagrams for ICs in the G4x1 family. I'm also having a very hard time finding the right pins for QuadSPI (BK1_IO*, BK2_IO*) on the G4x1 IC we are looking at using STM32CubeMX.

So... confusion.

11 REPLIES 11

After more check, we will keep the table in the STM32G4 series page, as STM32G4x1 line is not yet completed and will include QuadSPI (like in STM32G471). But, the RM0440 on the web is mistake: STM32G471 has QuadSPI, this will be corrected in the comiing release.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Hi Imen,

I'd suggest to add a footnote to the table on web, then, clarifying that QuadSPI is not available in all 'G4x1 models.

Jan

@Imen DAHMEN​