cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding button functionalities to costum keyboard TOUCHGFX

Giovanni Cambareri
Associate II

Hi, I've created a custom keyboard and so far all works good. I've just a problem: I want to use an OK button on the keyboard to copy the text edited to a text area in an other screen. I'm able to go to the other screen but when i do the second part of my goal, I've got errors. I think the problem is in the function getBuffer.

-This is the part in customkeyboard.cpp

void CustomKeyboard::okPressedHandler()

{

getBuffer(); // function to save the actual entered text

application().gotoScreen01ScreenNoTransition(); // if i use only this line the code work to change screeen

}

-Part in customkeyboard.hpp

virtual void getBuffer()

{

// implemented in screen02_00View.cpp

}

-Part in the screen where the keyboard is defined

extern Unicode::UnicodeChar keyboardBuffer[10];

void Screen02_00View::getBuffer() // added to manage the entered text from temperature keyboard

{

Unicode::UnicodeChar* buff = keyboard.getBuffer();

Unicode::strncpy(keyboardBuffer, buff, Unicode::strlen(buff) + 1);

-Part in screen.hpp

virtual void getBuffer(); //added to manage the keyboard entered text

-Part in the screen where I want to go when i pressed ok button and where i want to save the text edited

Unicode::UnicodeChar keyboardBuffer[10]; // at the beginning of the code

void Screen01View::updateScreen() // I've defined updateScreen from touchGFX

{

if(Unicode::strlen(keyboardBuffer) > 0)

{

memset(&BakeText3Buffer, 0, BAKETEXT3_SIZE);

Unicode::strncpy(BakeText3Buffer, keyboardBuffer, BAKETEXT3_SIZE - 1);

BakeText3Buffer[BAKETEXT3_SIZE-1] = '\0'; // make sure last index is null

BakeText3.invalidate();

}

}

Part in the screen01.hpp

virtual void updateScreen();

Could you please help me?

Thank you

This is my keyboard:0693W000005BHAKQA4.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alexandre RENOUX
Principal

As the error mentions, CustomKeyboard::getBuffer() is undefined. It is because CustomKeyboard does not have the getBuffer() function. It's the Keyboard class that has it, not CustomKeyboard 😉 CustomKeyboard does not inherit from the Keyboard class but only has a Keyboard object as an attribute.

So you need to define a getBuffer() function in your CustomKeyboard class to be able to call it from your ScreenView.

Something like :

Unicode::UnicodeChar* CustomKeyboard::getBuffer()
{
  return keyboard.getBuffer();
}

Don't forget to declare it in the .hpp file as well.

The fact that both your CustomKeyboard and Keyboard variable have the same name is misleading. I suggest you to change your CustomKeyboard variable name to customKeyboard to avoid mixing them.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

/Alexandre

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MM..1
Chief II

I see more as one bad idea in your code.

Unicode::UnicodeChar* buff = keyboard.getBuffer(); this try return pointer from void function and too empty function ???

void CustomKeyboard::okPressedHandler()

{

getBuffer(); this call member empty not screen func

Alexandre RENOUX
Principal

Hello GCamb2,

Could you provide the errors you got ? This would be helpful to assess the issue.

In the future, I believe it is good practice to include the errors to your post in order for the community to be able to support you the best we can.

/Alexandre

Giovanni Cambareri
Associate II

Yes sure, these are the first time I use the community so any advice can be useful.

The error is the following:

TouchGFX/build/STM32F746-DISCO/TouchGFX/gui/src/screen02_00_screen/Screen02_00View.o: In function `Screen02_00View::getBuffer()':

/TouchGFX/gui/src/screen02_00_screen/Screen02_00View.cpp:28: undefined reference to `CustomKeyboard::getBuffer()'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

make[2]: *** [TouchGFX/build/bin/target.elf] Error 1

gcc/Makefile:289: recipe for target 'TouchGFX/build/bin/target.elf' failed

gcc/Makefile:285: recipe for target 'generate_assets' failed

make[1]: *** [generate_assets] Error 2

../gcc/Makefile:47: recipe for target 'all' failed

make: *** [all] Error 2

Failed

Failed

Thanks

Alexandre RENOUX
Principal

As the error mentions, CustomKeyboard::getBuffer() is undefined. It is because CustomKeyboard does not have the getBuffer() function. It's the Keyboard class that has it, not CustomKeyboard 😉 CustomKeyboard does not inherit from the Keyboard class but only has a Keyboard object as an attribute.

So you need to define a getBuffer() function in your CustomKeyboard class to be able to call it from your ScreenView.

Something like :

Unicode::UnicodeChar* CustomKeyboard::getBuffer()
{
  return keyboard.getBuffer();
}

Don't forget to declare it in the .hpp file as well.

The fact that both your CustomKeyboard and Keyboard variable have the same name is misleading. I suggest you to change your CustomKeyboard variable name to customKeyboard to avoid mixing them.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

/Alexandre

MM..1
Chief II

Or maybe you can on invoke keyboard assign directly BakeText3Buffer to keyboard. Then only need in ok click use if empty and invalíidate text...

Noone of getBuffer chaos.